How econometric models help policy makers; theory and practice
Frisch and Tinbergen founded the standard framework for finding the optimal economic policy by maximizing the welfare function under constraints supplied by the econometric model. Frisch worried about the reliability of the model and Tinbergen thought that it would be too difficult to specify the welfare function. Looking at current practice in Dutch policy making, both worries are relevant but the solutions proposed by the founders are not very helpful. Rather, the solution is found in applying an iterative trial-and-error procedure interfacing between the policy maker and the model-cum-expert system. The main contributions of the standard framework are its useful set of concepts, the famous order condition for a feasible solution, and the clear definition of role models for the two parties in the interaction.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (070) 338 33 80
Fax: (070) 338 33 50
Web page: http://www.cpb.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wallis, Kenneth F, 1993.
"On Macroeconomic Policy and Macroeconometric Models,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 69(205), pages 113-30, June.
- Wallis, K.F., 1992. "On Macroeconomic Policy and Macroeconometric Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 264, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Christopher A. Sims, 2002. "The Role of Models and Probabilities in the Monetary Policy Process," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(2), pages 1-62.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Henk Don, F. J., 1983. "Uncertainty and the vigour of policy : A stronger result," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 187-191, September.
- Bray, Jeremy, et al, 1995. "The Interfaces between Policy Makers, Markets and Modellers in the Design of Economic Policy: An Intermodel Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 989-1000, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpb:discus:27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.