A fixed point theorem for discontinuous functions
In this paper we prove the following fixed point theorem. Consider a non-empty bounded polyhedron P and a function ƒ : P → P such that for every x є P for which ƒ (x) ≠ x there exists δ > 0 such that for all y, z є B (x, δ) ∩ P it holds that (ƒ(y)-y)2 (ƒ(z)-z) ≤ 0, where B (x, δ) is the ball in Rⁿ centered at x with radius δ . Then ƒ has a fixed point, i.e., there exists a point x* є P satisfying ƒ (x*) = x* . The condition allows for various discontinuities and irregularities of the function. In case f is a continuous function, the condition is automatically satisfied and thus the Brouwer fixed point theorem is implied by the result. We illustrate that a function that satisfies the condition is not necessarily upper or lower semi-continuous. A game-theoretic application is also discussed.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Note:||In : Operations Research Letters, 36, 89-93, 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Talman, A.J.J. & Dai, Y. & van der Laan, G. & Yamamoto, Y., 1991.
"A simplicial algorithm for the nonlinear stationary point problem on an unbounded polyhedron,"
Other publications TiSEM
d961dc7e-e203-4709-8a75-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Dai, Y. & van der Laan, G. & Talman, A.J.J. & Yamamoto, Y., 1989. "A simplicial algorithm for the nonlinear stationary point problem on an unbounded polyhedron," Discussion Paper 1989-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- GÃ©rard Debreu (ed.), 1996. "General Equilibrium Theory," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 548.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1997.
"Two Simple Proofs of the Feasibility of the Linear Tracing Procedure,"
1997-77, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings, 2000. "Two simple proofs of the feasibility of the linear tracing procedure," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 15(2), pages 485-490.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, October.
- Talman, A.J.J. & Yamamoto, Y., 1989. "A simplicial algorithm for stationary point problems on polytopes," Other publications TiSEM 0d6b2de0-17c0-4d5e-963f-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvrp:2154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.