Multivariate reduced rank regression in non-Gaussian contexts, using copulas
We propose a new procedure to perform Reduced Rank Regression (RRR) in nonGaussian contexts, based on Multivariate Dispersion Models. Reduced-Rank Multivariate Dispersion Models (RR-MDM) generalise RRR to a very large class of distributions, which include continuous distributions like the normal, Gamma, Inverse Gaussian, and discrete distributions like the Poisson and the binomial. A multivariate distribution is created with the help of the Gaussian copula and estimation is performed using maximum likelihood. We show how this method can be amended to deal with the case of discrete data. We perform Monte Carlo simulations and show that our estimator is more efficient than the traditional Gaussian RRR. In the framework of MDM's we introduce a procedure analogous to canonical correlations, which takes into account the distribution of the data.
|Date of creation:||00 May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- HEINEN, Andreas & RENGIFO, Erick, 2003. "Multivariate modelling of time series count data: an autoregressive conditional Poisson model," CORE Discussion Papers 2003025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- J.A.F. Machado & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2003.
"Quantiles for Counts,"
- Heinen, Andreas & Rengifo, Erick, 2007. "Multivariate autoregressive modeling of time series count data using copulas," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 564-583, September.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2006.
"Predictive Density Evaluation,"
Handbook of Economic Forecasting,
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2006. "Predictive Density Evaluation. Revised," Departmental Working Papers 200621, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- Denuit, Michel & Lambert, Philippe, 2005. "Constraints on concordance measures in bivariate discrete data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 40-57, March.
- Peter Xue-Kun Song, 2000. "Multivariate Dispersion Models Generated From Gaussian Copula," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 305-320.
- Hasbrouck, Joel & Seppi, Duane J., 2001. "Common factors in prices, order flows, and liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 383-411, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2004032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.