Multivariate reduced rank regression in non-Gaussian contexts, using copulas
We propose a new procedure to perform Reduced Rank Regression (RRR) in nonGaussian contexts, based on Multivariate Dispersion Models. Reduced-Rank Multivariate Dispersion Models (RR-MDM) generalise RRR to a very large class of distributions, which include continuous distributions like the normal, Gamma, Inverse Gaussian, and discrete distributions like the Poisson and the binomial. A multivariate distribution is created with the help of the Gaussian copula and estimation is performed using maximum likelihood. We show how this method can be amended to deal with the case of discrete data. We perform Monte Carlo simulations and show that our estimator is more efficient than the traditional Gaussian RRR. In the framework of MDM's we introduce a procedure analogous to canonical correlations, which takes into account the distribution of the data.
|Date of creation:||00 May 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Machado, Jose A.F. & Silva, J. M. C. Santos, 2005.
"Quantiles for Counts,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1226-1237, December.
- Jose A. F. Machado Machado & Joao Santos Silva Santos Silva, 2002. "Quantiles for counts," CeMMAP working papers CWP22/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- J.A.F. Machado & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2003. "Quantiles for Counts," Econometrics 0303001, EconWPA.
- HEINEN, Andreas & RENGIFO, Erick, 2003. "Multivariate modelling of time series count data: an autoregressive conditional Poisson model," CORE Discussion Papers 2003025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter Xue-Kun Song, 2000. "Multivariate Dispersion Models Generated From Gaussian Copula," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 305-320.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-883, November.
- Heinen, Andreas & Rengifo, Erick, 2007. "Multivariate autoregressive modeling of time series count data using copulas," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 564-583, September.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2006. "Predictive Density Evaluation. Revised," Departmental Working Papers 200621, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2006. "Predictive Density Evaluation," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2004. "Predictive Density Evaluation," Departmental Working Papers 200419, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- Denuit, Michel & Lambert, Philippe, 2005. "Constraints on concordance measures in bivariate discrete data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 40-57, March.
- Hasbrouck, Joel & Seppi, Duane J., 2001. "Common factors in prices, order flows, and liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 383-411, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2004032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.