Bridging the gap between Ox and Gauss using OxGauss
The purpose of this paper is to review and discuss the key improvements brought to OxGauss. Without having to install Gauss on his or her machine, the OxGauss user can run under Ox a wide range of Gauss programs and codes. Even with the consoleOx version (free for academics), Gauss codes can either be called from Ox programs or run and executed on their own. While the new OxGauss version is very powerful in most circumstances, it is of little use once the purpose is to execute programs thatattempt to solve optimization problems using Cml, Maxlik or Optmum. In this paper we propose a set of additional procedures that contribute to bridge the gap between Ox and three well-known Gauss application modules: Cml, Maxlik or Optmum.The effectiveness of our procedures is illustrated by revisiting a large number of freely available Gauss codes in which numerical optimization relies on the above Gauss application modules. The Gauss codes include many programs dealing with nonlinear models such as the Markov regime-switching models STAR models and various GARCH-type models. These illustrations highlight a further potentially interesting implication of OxGauss: it enables non-Gauss users to replicate existing empiricalresults using freely available Gauss codes.
|Date of creation:||00 Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cribari-Neto, Francisco, 1997. "Econometric Programming Environments: GAUSS, Ox and S-PLUS," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 77-89, Jan.-Feb..
- Francisco Cribari-Neto & Spyros Zarkos, 2003. "Econometric and Statistical Computing Using Ox," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 277-295, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521779654 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521770415 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laurent, Sebastien & Peters, Jean-Philippe, 2002. " G@RCH 2.2: An Ox Package for Estimating and Forecasting Various ARCH Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 447-85, July.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "State-Space Models with Regime Switching: Classical and Gibbs-Sampling Approaches with Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262112388, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2004012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.