The Mathematical Programming Approach to Applied General Equilibrium Modelling: Notes and Problems
The mathematical programming approach to applied general equilibrium analysis, although no longer the dominant tool, is still useful, from at least two points of view: (1) it neatly integrates into an economy-wide framework the microeconomic theory of the behaviour of agents constrained by inequalities; and (2) it provides a useful approach for computing the solutions of some general equilibrium problems not solvable with the current GEMPACK software (see, e.g., Dixon (1991), cited below on p. 16). The material contained in this paper was meant to be included in our graduate-level text (Peter B. DIXON, B.R. PARMENTER, Alan A. POWELL and P.J. WILCOXEN, Notes and Problems in Applied General Equilibrium Economics (Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1992), but space limitations led to our reluctant exclusion of it from the text. Publication in the Impact series will mean that those who find the approach in our textbook useful will be able to apply the same method towards mastering mathematical programming in a general equilibrium context.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, H David, 1971. "Effects of Protection in a General Equilibrium Framework," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(2), pages 147-56, May.
- Manne, Alan S & Chao, Hung-po & Wilson, Robert, 1980. "Computation of Competitive Equilibria by a Sequence of Linear Programs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(7), pages 1595-1615, November.
- Dixon, Peter B., 1990. "A general equilibrium approach to public utility pricing: determining prices for a water authority," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 745-767.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Jean Waelbroeck, 1976. "Computational experience with a large general equilibrium model of the world economy," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1931, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dixon, Peter B & Butlin, Matthew W, 1977. "Notes on the Evans Model of Protection," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 53(142&143), pages 337-49, June-Sept.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:i-50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.