Local Utility and Multivariate Risk Aversion
We revisit Machina's local utility as a tool to analyze attitudes to multivariate risks. Using martingale embedding techniques, we show that for non-expected utility maximizers choosing between multivariate prospects, aversion to multivariate mean preserving increases in risk is equivalent to the concavity of the local utility functions, thereby generalizing Machina's result in . To analyze comparative risk attitudes within the multivariate extension of rank dependent expected utility of , we extend Quiggin's monotone mean and utility preserving increases in risk and show that the useful characterization given in  still holds in the multivariate case.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969. "Behavior Towards Risk with Many Commodities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 660-67, October.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Larry G. Epstein & Stephen M. Tanny, 1980. "Increasing Generalized Correlation: A Definition and Some Economic Consequences," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 16-34, February.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/5rkqqmvrn4tl22s9mc4c7eg1p is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Scarsini, 1988. "Dominance Conditions for Multivariate Utility Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(4), pages 454-460, April.
- Guillaume Carlier & Alfred Galichon & Filippo Santambrogio, 2010. "From Knothe's transport to Brenier's map and a continuation method for optimal transport," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/5rkqqmvrn4t, Sciences Po.
- Puccetti, Giovanni & Scarsini, Marco, 2010. "Multivariate comonotonicity," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 291-304, January.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1969. "A Note on Behavior towards Risk with Many Commodities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 262, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Safra, Zvi & Segal, Uzi, 1993. "Dominance Axioms and Multivariate Nonexpected Utility Preferences," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(2), pages 321-34, May.
- Machina, Mark J, 1982.
""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 277-323, March.
- Mark J Machina, 1982. ""Expected Utility" Analysis without the Independence Axiom," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7650, David K. Levine.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00212281 is not listed on IDEAS
- Segal, Uzi, 1987.
"Some remarks on Quiggin's anticipated utility,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 145-154, March.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Michèle Cohen & Isaac Meilijson, 2004.
"Four notions of mean preserving increase in risk, risk attitudes and applications to the Rank-Dependent Expected Utility model,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Chateauneuf, Alain & Cohen, Michele & Meilijson, Isaac, 2004. "Four notions of mean-preserving increase in risk, risk attitudes and applications to the rank-dependent expected utility model," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 547-571, August.
- Machina, Mark J, 1982. "A Stronger Characterization of Declining Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1069-79, July.
- Karni, Edi, 1989. "Generalized Expected Utility Analysis of Multivariate Risk Aversion," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(2), pages 297-305, May.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1974. "Risk aversion with many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 361-388, July.
- Zephyr, 2010. "The city," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1-2), pages 154-155, February.
- Grant, Simon & Kajii, Atsushi & Polak, Ben, 1992. "Many good choice Axioms: When can many-good lotteries be treated as money lotteries?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 313-337, April.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirwor:2012s-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.