Indicadores Sintéticos para la Proyección de Imacec en Chile
This paper studies the informational content of synthetic indicators of economic activity for projecting the monthly index of economic activity (Imacec) for Chile. Comparing them to the Urrutia-Sánchez (2008) model, which employs energy production, and calendar and seasonal components to forecast the Imacec, models employing synthetic leading indicators and financial conditions indicators are competitive in terms of the MSFE. Moreover, we show that combinations of different forecasting strategies with small bias present improvements in terms of the MSFE with respect to individual models. We also show that, due to their inertial behavior, projections with synthetic indicators display errors that last for many periods after an exogenous event (such as an earthquake). Specifications with variables that quickly adjust to economic activity, such as energy consumption, do not have this problem.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Raffaella Giacomini & Halbert White, 2003.
"Tests of Conditional Predictive Ability,"
- Giacomini, Raffaella & White, Halbert, 2003. "Tests of Conditional Predictive Ability," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5jk0j5jh, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Raffaella Giacomini & Halbert White, 2003. "Tests of conditional predictive ability," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 572, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michael Pedersen, 2009. "Un indicador líder compuesto para la actividad económica en Chile," Monetaria, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 181-208, abril-jun.
- Luis Ceballos S. & Mario González F., 2012. "Indicador de Condiciones Económicas," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 15(1), pages 105-117, April.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Marcela Urrutia A. & Andrea Sánchez Y., 2008. "Generación de Energía Eléctrica en un Modelo para Proyectar el IMACEC," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(2), pages 99-108, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:656. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.