The Choice of Inflation Targeting
This paper assesses empirically the contribution of key macroeconomic and institutional variables in shaping the likelihood of choosing the Inflation Targeting (IT) regime in a sample that comprises countries working under such a regime and covers the period 1975-2005. I find inflation rate, financial development, GDP per capita and trade openness relevant for driving the choice of IT by estimating a discrete choice panel data model. Also, my results suggest that the initial conditions at the moment of IT adoption do matter because countries have different exposure to the likelihood of choosing IT as a result of their specific macroeconomic and institutional fundamentals and unobservable idiosyncratic factors.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arminio Fraga & Ilan Goldfajn & André Minella, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market Economies,"
Working Papers Series
76, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro M. Werner, 2002.
"Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro Werner, 2002. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 171, Central Bank of Chile.
- Vega, Marco & Winkelried, Diego, 2004.
"Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?,"
838, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(3), December.
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," Macroeconomics 0502026, EconWPA.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.