Network Neutrality under ISP duopoly: on the ability to assign capacity
We analyze the impact of network neutrality regulation on: (i) competition between CPs, and on (ii) ISPs. incentives to invest. We consider both competition between ISPs and between CPs and show that, if ISPs can o¤er network services of different quality to CPs, they prefer to sell the highest quality network services to the CP that collects the highest advertising revenues. We further show that the impact of network neutrality regulation on the investment in the quality of network services is potentially ambiguous and depends on: (i) whether ISPs are symmetric, and (ii) the ISPs.ability to assign network.s capacity to CPs. If ISPs are symmetric and have full discretion on how to allocate the level of quality of network services among CPs, investment and welfare are higher under the discriminatory regime.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (351) 266 740 869
Web page: http://www.cefage.uevora.pt
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Edmond, 2007.
"Information Revolutions and the Overthrow of Autocratic Regimes,"
07-26, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Economides, Nicholas & Tåg, Joacim, 2012. "Network neutrality on the Internet: A two-sided market analysis," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 91-104.
- Nicholas Economides & Joacim Tåg, 2007. "Net Neutrality on the Internet: A Two-sided Market Analysis," Working Papers 07-14, NET Institute, revised Sep 2007.
- Nicholas Economides & Joacim Tåg, 2007. "Net Neutrality on the Internet: A Two-sided Market Analysis," Working Papers 07-45, NET Institute, revised Nov 2007.
- Economides, Nicholas & Tåg, Joacim, 2008. "Network Neutrality on the Internet: A Two-sided Market Analysis," Working Paper Series 727, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 09 Nov 2011.
- Musacchio John & Schwartz Galina & Walrand Jean, 2009. "A Two-Sided Market Analysis of Provider Investment Incentives with an Application to the Net-Neutrality Issue," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Carlo Reggiani & Tommaso Valletti, 2012. "Net neutrality and innovation at the core and at the edge," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1202, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Nicholas Economides & Benjamin E. Hermalin, 2012.
"The economics of network neutrality,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 43(4), pages 602-629, December.
- Bourreau, Marc & Kourandi, Frago & Valletti, Tommaso, 2014.
"Net Neutrality with Competing Internet Platforms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schuett Florian, 2010. "Network Neutrality: A Survey of the Economic Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-15, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfe:wpcefa:2013_19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.