Curing Sinus Headaches and Tying Law: An Empirical Analysis of Bundling Decongestants and Pain Relievers
We apply and extend the cost-based approach to bundling and tying under competition developed in Evans and Salinger (2004) to over-the-counter pain relievers and cold medicines. We document that consumers pay much less for tablets with multiple ingredients than they would if they bought tablets with each ingredient separately. We then decompose the sources of these savings into marginal cost savings and a component that reflects fixed costs of product offerings. The analysis both documents substantial economies of bundling and illustrates the sort of cost analysis that is necessary for understanding tying.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David S. Evans & A. Jorge Padilla, 2004.
"Designing Antitrust Rules For Assessing Unilateral Practices: A Neo-Chicago Approach,"
- Evans, David S & Padilla, Atilano Jorge, 2004. "Designing Antitrust Rules for Assessing Unilateral Practices: A Neo-Chicago Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 4625, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miravete, Eugenio J, 2004. "Are all those Calling Plans Really Necessary? The Limited Gains From Complex Tariffs," CEPR Discussion Papers 4237, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chaim Fershtman & Ariel Pakes, 2000.
"A Dynamic Oligopoly with Collusion and Price Wars,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(2), pages 207-236, Summer.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1992.
"Computing Markov perfect Nash equilibria: numerical implications of a dynamic differentiated product model,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
58, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1994. "Computing Markov-Perfect Nash Equilibria: Numerical Implications of a Dynamic Differentiated Product Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(4), pages 555-589, Winter.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1992. "Computing Markov Perfect Nash Equilibria: Numerical Implications of a Dynamic Differentiated Product Model," NBER Technical Working Papers 0119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:oup:restud:v:62:y:1995:i:1:p:53-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steve Berry, 2004.
"Simple Estimators for the Parameters of Discrete Dynamic Games (with Entry/Exit Examples),"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2036, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steven Berry, 2007. "Simple estimators for the parameters of discrete dynamic games (with entry/exit examples)," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(2), pages 373-399, 06.
- Ariel Pakes & Michael Ostrovsky & Steve Berry, 2004. "Simple Estimators for the Parameters of Discrete Dynamic Games (with Entry/Exit Samples)," NBER Working Papers 10506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Peter C. Reiss, 1987. "Do Entry Conditions Vary across Markets?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 833-882.
- Gregory Crawford, 2008. "The discriminatory incentives to bundle in the cable television industry," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 41-78, March.
- David S. Evans & Michael A. Salinger, 2008. "THE ROLE OF COST IN DETERMINING WHEN FIRMS OFFER BUNDLES -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 143-168, 03.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford, 1987. "Empirical Implications and Tests of the Contestability Hypothesis," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 53-66, April.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1519. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.