Inequality among the Wealthy
Using the evidence from the Luxembourg Wealth Study it appears that the distribution of wealth in the UK is considerably less than in Canada, the US or Sweden. But does this result come from an underestimate of inequality among the wealthy and of the wealth differential between the rich and the rest? Using a Pareto model for the upper tail of the distribution we can see that the inequality of comparisons of the UK with the other countries is indeed robust.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/case/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amiel, Yoram & Cowell, Frank & Polovin, Avraham, 1996. "Inequality among the Kibbutzim," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages 63-85, Suppl..
- Markus Jantti & Eva Sierminska & Tim Smeeding, 2008. "The Joint Distribution of Household Income and Wealth: Evidence from the Luxembourg Wealth Study," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 65, OECD Publishing.
- Eva Sierminska & Andrea Brandolini & Timothy Smeeding, 2006. "The Luxembourg Wealth Study – A cross-country comparable database for household wealth research," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 4(3), pages 375-383, December.
- Frank Cowell & Maria-Pia Victoria-Feser, 2007. "Robust stochastic dominance: A semi-parametric approach," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 5(1), pages 21-37, April.
- Fabio Clementi & Mauro Gallegati, 2005.
"Pareto's Law of Income Distribution: Evidence for Grermany, the United Kingdom, and the United States,"
- F. Clementi & M. Gallegati, 2005. "Pareto's Law of Income Distribution: Evidence for Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States," Papers physics/0504217, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2006.
- Klass, Oren S. & Biham, Ofer & Levy, Moshe & Malcai, Ofer & Solomon, Sorin, 2006. "The Forbes 400 and the Pareto wealth distribution," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 290-295, February.
- Alan Harrison, 1981. "Earnings by Size: A Tale of Two Distributions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 621-631.