Inequality among the Wealthy
Using the evidence from the Luxembourg Wealth Study it appears that the distribution of wealth in the UK is considerably less than in Canada, the US or Sweden. But does this result come from an underestimate of inequality among the wealthy and of the wealth differential between the rich and the rest? Using a Pareto model for the upper tail of the distribution we can see that the inequality of comparisons of the UK with the other countries is indeed robust.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/case/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, Alan, 1981. "Earnings by Size: A Tale of Two Distributions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 621-31, October.
- Amiel, Yoram & Cowell, Frank & Polovin, Avraham, 1996. "Inequality among the Kibbutzim," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages S63-85, Suppl..
- Fabio Clementi & Mauro Gallegati, 2005.
"Pareto's Law of Income Distribution: Evidence for Grermany, the United Kingdom, and the United States,"
- F. Clementi & M. Gallegati, 2005. "Pareto's Law of Income Distribution: Evidence for Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States," Papers physics/0504217, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2006.
- Frank Cowell & Maria-Pia Victoria-Feser, 2007. "Robust stochastic dominance: A semi-parametric approach," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 21-37, April.
- Klass, Oren S. & Biham, Ofer & Levy, Moshe & Malcai, Ofer & Solomon, Sorin, 2006. "The Forbes 400 and the Pareto wealth distribution," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 290-295, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:sticas:case150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.