Estimation of Highway Maintenance Marginal Cost under Multiple Maintenance Activities
This paper focuses on the estimation of highway maintenance marginal costs. Highway maintenance marginal cost has been estimated in the literature using the perpetual overlay indirect approach. This approach assumes that pavement overlay costs dominate maintenance costs and ignores other maintenance activities. This paper focuses on two questions. First, is it acceptable to ignore the less costly activities? Second, if multiple maintenance activities are to be considered, is it acceptable to ignore their interdependence? The results show that less costly maintenance activities cannot be ignored. Furthermore, if multiple activities are to be considered, their interdependence should be taken into account.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 109 McLaughlin Hall, Mail Code 1720, Berkeley, CA 94720-1720|
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/uctc/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ouyang, Yanfeng & Madanat, Samer, 2006. "An analytical solution for the finite-horizon pavement resurfacing planning problem," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 767-778, November.
- Li, Yuwei & Madanat, Samer, 2002. "A steady-state solution for the optimal pavement resurfacing problem," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 525-535, July.
- Newbery, David M, 1988. "Road Damage Externalities and Road User Charges," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 295-316, March.
- Haraldsson, Mattias, 2007. "Marginal costs for road maintenance and operation - a cost function approach," Working Papers 2007:7, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Haraldsson, Mattias, 2007. "The marginal cost for pavement renewal - a duration analysis approach," Working Papers 2007:8, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:uctcwp:qt0fh705xg. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.