Alternative trade and support strategies for CAP integration
The prospect that the nations of Central and Eastern Europe may soon join the European Union (EU) raises a number of questions concerning the treatment of agriculture under the treaties of accession. In order to analyze the implications of alternative accession scenarios, we construct a simulation model of the agricultural economies in Eastern Europe and explore the consequences of various regimes of trade and support policies under different scenarios concerning the terms in the treaties of accession. The analysis focuses on the relationship between different negotiated accession contracts, pre-accession agricultural support policies, restructuring in the agricultural sector, and sectoral performance. The analysis suggests that the choice of transitional policies adopted during the pre-accession period are far more important in determining outcomes in the agricultural sector than are the terms of accession to the EU. The prevailing attention to convergence with EU norms may be misplaced, and perhaps even harmful.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 207 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley, CA 94720-3310|
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/are_ucb/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1994. "Investment under Uncertainty," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 5474, 06-2016.
- Larry Karp & Spiro Stefanou, 1994.
"Domestic and trade policy for Central and East European agriculture 1,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 345-371, 09.
- Karp, Larry & Stefanou, Spiro, 1993. "Domestic and Trade Policy for Central and East European Agriculture," CEPR Discussion Papers 814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karp, Larry S. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 1993. "Domestic And Trade Policy For Central And East European Agriculture," Working Papers 51110, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Dixit Avinash & Rob Rafael, 1994. "Switching Costs and Sectoral Adjustments in General Equilibrium with Uninsured Risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 48-69, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:agrebk:qt6bm4q0xt. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.