EU Enlargement Implications on the New Member States Agri-food Trade
In the paper dynamic gravity models are estimated for the agricultural trade of six new EU Member States (the Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia) with selected countries and trade groupings between 1996 and 2005. In general, we find low income elasticities and high price elasticities of import demand for agricultural commodities. The lagged values for trade were highly significant. The accession to the EU increased the new Member States’ exports, but had less impact on their imports. The new Member States have gained significantly from liberalized access to the EU agri-food market.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frohberg, Klaus & Hartmann, Monika, 1997. "Promoting CEA agricultural exports through association agreements with the EU: why it is not working," IAMO Discussion Papers 1, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Csaki, C., 2000. "Agricultural reforms in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union: Status and Perspectives," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(1), January.
- Karp, Larry & Stefanou, Spiro, 1993.
"Domestic and Trade Policy for Central and East European Agriculture,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Larry Karp & Spiro Stefanou, 1994. "Domestic and trade policy for Central and East European agriculture 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 345-371, 09.
- Karp, Larry S. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 1993. "Domestic And Trade Policy For Central And East European Agriculture," Working Papers 51110, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm K., 1998.
"Eastern Enlargement of the EU: How much is it Worth for Austria?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm, 2002. "Eastern Enlargement of the EU: How Much Is It Worth for Austria?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 324-42, May.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina, 2005. "Access to OECD Agricultural Market: A Gravity Border Effect Approach," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24543, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fritz Breuss, 2002. "Benefits and Dangers of EU Enlargement," Empirica, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 245-274, September.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2008. "EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 562-576, 08.
- Neven, Damien, 1995. "Trade liberalisation with Eastern nations: Some distribution issues," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 622-632, April.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Peter Huber & Jan Jakub Michalek, . "Poland's Accession to the European Union: Demand for Protection of Selected Sensitive Products," WIFO Working Papers 117, WIFO.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Paul Brenton & Francesca Di Mauro, 1998. "Is There Any Potential in Trade in Sensitive Industrial Products Between the CEECs and the EU?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 285-304, 05.
- Weyerbrock, Silvia, 2001. "The impact of agricultural productivity increases in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe on world agricultural markets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 237-251, December.
- Alain Pouliquen, 1998. "Agricultural enlargement of the EU under Agenda 2000: Surplus of farm labour "versus" surplus of farm products," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(2), pages 505-522, November.
- Csaki, C., 2000. "Agricultural reforms in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union: Status and perspectives," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 37-54, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae08:44122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.