Arbitrage conditions, interest rates, and intertemporal commodity price relationships
Recent studies have presented different views on the relationship between interest rates and commodity prices. The theory of storage and arbitrage approaches fully incorporate nominal interest rates in commodity price spreads. Alternative frameworks admit a relationship between the interest rate and commodity own rates of interest and, as a result, the commodity price spread would not completely incorporate the nominal interest rate. The various views on interest rate-commodity price relationships, the potential role of nonneutralities, and existing empirical evidence are examined.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 1988|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 207 Giannini Hall #3310, Berkeley, CA 94720-3310|
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/are_ucb/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carter, Colin A & Rausser, Gordon C & Schmitz, Andrew, 1983.
"Efficient Asset Portfolios and the Theory of Normal Backwardation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 319-331, April.
- Carter, Colin A. & Rausser, Gordon C. & Schmitz, Andrew, 1982. "Efficient asset portfolios and the theory of normal backwardation," CUDARE Working Paper Series 133R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Carter, Colin A. & Rausser, Gordon C. & Schmitz, Andrew, 1982. "Efficient asset portfolios and the theory of normal backwardation," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt59c8m4x6, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Aris Protopapadakis & Hans R. Stoll, .
"Spot and Futures Prices and the Law of One Price,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
17-82, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Telser, Lester G, 1986. "Futures and Actual Markets: How They Are Related," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages S5-20, April.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1984. "Commodity Prices and Money: Lessons from International Finance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(5), pages 560-566.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "Forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-338, November.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1987. "Commodity Futures Prices: Some Evidence on Forecast Power, Premiums,and the Theory of Storage," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(1), pages 55-73, January.
- Robert G. Chambers, 1984. "Agricultural and Financial Market Interdependence in the Short Run," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(1), pages 12-24.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:agrebk:qt0831h7hq. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.