A Simple Theory of Structural Transformation
The paper presents a theory of the industrial transformation amongst sectors using endogenous growth theory. Allowing only a slight upward trend in the productivity of the human capital sector, combined with ascending degrees of human capital shares of sectoral output, in say, agriculture, manufacturing and services, output gradually shifts relatively over time from agriculture to manufacturing and to services. Abstracting from international trade theory, sectors intensive in the factor that is becoming relatively more plentiful find their relative outputs expanding. Adding more sectors of greater human capital intensity causes labor time to decrease within each sector, as shown for agriculture, and in general for any number of sectors.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:||May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Aberconway Building, Colum Drive, CARDIFF, CF10 3EU|
Phone: +44 (0) 29 20874417
Fax: +44 (0) 29 20874419
Web page: http://business.cardiff.ac.uk/research/academic-sections/economics/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michele Boldrin & David K Levine, 2009.
"A Model of Discovery,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
814577000000000092, David K. Levine.
- Boldrin, Michele & Levine, David, 2002.
"Perfectly Competitive Innovation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3274, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michele Boldrin & David K Levine, 2002. "Perfectly Competitive Innovation," Levine's Working Paper Archive 625018000000000192, David K. Levine.
- Michele Boldrin & David K. Levine, 2002. "Perfectly competitive innovation," Staff Report 303, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Michele Boldrin & David K Levine, 2006. "Perfectly Competitive Innovation," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000954, David K. Levine.
- Michele Boldrin & David K Levine, 2000. "Perfectly Competitive Innovation," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1996, David K. Levine.
- Mundlak, Yair, 2003. "Economic Growth: Lessons From Two Centuries Of American Agriculture," Discussion Papers 14986, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdf:wpaper:2011/4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yongdeng Xu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.