How Backward are the Other Backward Classes? Changing Contours of Caste Disadvantage in India
We trace changes in standard-of-living indicators across the three broad caste groups in India in order to comment on the evolution of the relative ranking of "Other Backward Classes" (OBCs). Employing a difference-in-diffrences strategy and analyzing individuals born between 1926-1985, we and convergence in primary and secondary education, but continued divergence in higher education. Younger cohorts of OBCs converge with upper castes in wages and white-collar jobs. The extension of affirmative action increases the share of OBCs with government jobs and secondary education, though increased political representation does not seem to be correlated with better outcomes.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Delhi 110 007|
Phone: (011) 27667005
Fax: (011) 27667159
Web page: http://www.cdedse.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.cdedse.org/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hnatkovska, Viktoria & Lahiri, Amartya & Paul, Sourabh Bikash, 2010.
"Castes and Labor Mobility,"
Economics working papers
viktoria_hnatkovska-2010-, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Oct 2010.
- Ashwini Deshpande, 2007. "Overlapping Identities under Liberalization: Gender and Caste in India," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 735-760.
- Deshpande, Ashwani, 2011. "The Grammar of Caste: Economic Discrimination in Contemporary India," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198072034, December.
- Zacharias, Ajit & Vakulabharanam, Vamsi, 2011. "Caste Stratification and Wealth Inequality in India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1820-1833.
- Ben Jann, 2008. "The Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition for linear regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(4), pages 453-479, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cde:cdewps:233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.