The Role of the Basle Standards in International Banking Supervision
This paper analyses the emerging international supervisory regime for banking institutions that operate on a transnational basis. It focuses on the basle framework as an institutional regime of norms and principles that govern international financial relations amongst the g10 countries. This paper argues that the basle committee on banking supervision has played a significant role in developing principles of sound regulatory practice for national supervisors to adopt in their jurisdictions. The increasing deregulation and liberalisation of international financial markets necessitates effective international minimum standards of supervisory practice to regulate the international activities of banking institutions. This paper further suggests that the increasing complexity of international financial markets and the need to reduce systemic risk require a global supervisor to coordinate the regulatory activities of national authorities. Indeed, a global supervisor should take the lead in providing information and expertise for national authorities and should, in some cases, take more proactive measures to ensure compliance with international norms.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cillian Ryan, 1990. "Trade Liberalisation and Financial Services," NBER Chapters, in: New Issues in the Uruguay Round, pages 349-366 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fukuda, Shin-ichi & Hoshi, Takeo & Ito, Takatoshi & Rose, Andrew, 2006. "International Finance," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 455-458, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.