Financing Firm Start-up and Restructuring in Transition Countries: Evidence from Belarus, the Ukraine and Russia
Investigates how entrepreneurs in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine finance start-up and restructuring. Data from 600 de novo, privatised or state-owned firms shows the critical importance of the personal funds of the main owner(s), with a limited level of support being giving by the state.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrzej Bratkowski & Irena Grosfeld & Jacek Rostowski, 2000.
"Investment and Finance in "de novo" private firms: Empirical Results from the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(1), pages 101-116, March.
- Andrzej Bratkowski & Irena Grosfeld & Jacek Rostowski, 1999. "Investment and Finance in De Novo Private Firms: Empiracal Results from the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 236, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bratkowski, A. & Grosfeld, I. & Rostowski, J., 1998. "Investment and Finance in De Novo Private Firms: Empirical Results form the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," DELTA Working Papers 98-19, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 1997.
"Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
60, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Lizal, Lubomir & Svejnar, Jan, 1998. "Enterprise Investment During the Transition: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 1835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- K Liuhto, 1999. "The Transformation of the Soviet Enterprise and its Management: A Literature Review," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp146, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Cornelli, F. & Portes, R. & Schaffer, M., 1996.
"The Capital Structure of Firms in Central and Eastern Europe,"
DELTA Working Papers
96-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Cornelli, Francesca & Portes, Richard & Schaffer, Mark E, 1996. "The Capital Structure of Firms in Central and Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lindh, T. & Ohlsson, H., 1995. "Self-Employment and Self-Financing," Papers 1995-01, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Cressy, Robert, 1996. "Are Business Startups Debt-Rationed?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1253-70, September.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U. S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-698.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Binks, Martin R & Ennew, Christine T, 1996. "Growing Firms and the Credit Constraint," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993.
"Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
4526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 334-347, Summer.
- Holtz-Eakin, D. & Joulfaian, D. & Rosen, H.S., 1992. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," Papers 129, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Brito, Paulo & Mello, Antonio S., 1995. "Financial constraints and firm post-entry performance," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 543-565, December.
- Van Praag, C Mirjam & Van Ophem, Hans, 1995. "Determinants of Willingness and Opportunity to Start as an Entrepreneur," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 513-540.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2007.
"What Makes a Young Entrepreneur?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3139, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hans Van Zon, 1998. "The Mismanaged Integration of Zaporizhzhya with the World Economy: Implications for Regional Development in Peripheral Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(7), pages 607-618.
- Valentijn Bilsen & P Van Maldegem, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment and Enterprise Performance in Transition Countries: Evidence from Russia and Ukraine," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp144, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
- Leijonhufvud, Axel & Ruhl, Christof, 1997. "Russian Dilemmas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 344-348, May.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.