Which Workers Bear the Burden of Corporate Taxation and Which Firms Can Pass It On? Micro Evidence from Germany
In this paper we provide empirical evidence on the wage incidence of the German business tax, which is set at the municipal level. For our analysis, we use a very rich administrative linked employer-employee panel, covering 11 years, and link it to data on the business tax rates of about 11,500 German municipalities. On average 8% of the municipalities adjust their business tax rate per year. We are able to exploit multiple quasi-natural experiments to identify the tax incidence on wages. The detailed administrative data allow us to estimate heterogenous incidence e ects and to explore different channels of how the business tax burden is passed on. We nd a wage elasticity with respect to the e ective marginal tax rate of -0.18. Low-skilled labor shares a relatively higher burden as well as workers in firms with non-binding sectoral collective agreements or firm level bargaining contracts.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Park End Street, Oxford OX1 1HP UK|
Phone: +44 (0)1865 288800
Fax: +44 (0)1865 288805
Web page: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/ideas-impact/tax/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach, 2006.
"Who Bears the Corporate Tax? A Review of What We Know,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 20, pages 1-40
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 2005. "Who Bears the Corporate Tax? A review of What We Know," NBER Working Papers 11686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1969. "Capital-Skill Complementarity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(4), pages 465-68, November.
- Alison Felix, 2007. "Passing the burden: corporate tax incidence in open economies," Regional Research Working Paper RRWP 07-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Alison Felix & James R. Hines, 2009.
"Corporate taxes and union wages in the United States,"
Regional Research Working Paper
RRWP 09-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- R. Alison Felix & James R. Hines, Jr., 2009. "Corporate Taxes and Union Wages in the United States," NBER Working Papers 15263, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peichl, Andreas & Siegloch, Sebastian, 2012.
"Accounting for labor demand effects in structural labor supply models,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 129-138.
- Peichl, Andreas & Siegloch, Sebastian, 2010. "Accounting for Labor Demand Effects in Structural Labor Supply Models," IZA Discussion Papers 5350, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas K. Bauer & Tanja Kasten & Lars-H. R. Siemers, 2012.
"Business taxation and wages: evidence from individual panel data,"
153-12, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Kasten, Tanja & Siemers, Lars, 2012. "Business Taxation and Wages: Evidence from Individual Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 6717, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Kasten, Tanja & Siemers, Lars -H.R., 2012. "Business Taxation and Wages – Evidence from Individual Panel Data," Ruhr Economic Papers 351, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Thomas K. Bauer & Tanja Kasten & Lars-H. Siemers, 2012. "Business Taxation and Wages: Evidence from Individual Panel Data," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201233, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Dwenger, Nadja & Rattenhuber, Pia & Steiner, Viktor, 2013.
"Sharing the burden? Empirical evidence on corporate tax incidence,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
80040, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Nadja Dwenger & Pia Rattenhuber & Viktor Steiner, 2011. "Sharing the burden: Empirical evidence on corporate tax incidence," Working Papers sharing_the_burden, Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance.
- Dwenger, Nadja & Rattenhuber, Pia & Steiner, Viktor, 2011. "Sharing the burden: Empirical evidence on corporate tax incidence," Discussion Papers 2011/19, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Michael P Devereux & Giorgia Maffini, 2009.
"The Direct Incidence of Corporate Income Tax on Wages,"
0917, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Devereux, Michael P. & Maffini, Giorgia, 2012. "The direct incidence of corporate income tax on wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1038-1054.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Michael P Devereux & Giorgia Maffini, 2007. "The Direct Incidence of Corporate Income Tax on Wages," Working Papers 0707, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Arulampalam, Wiji & Devereux, Michael P. & Maffini, Giorgia, 2010. "The Direct Incidence of Corporate Income Tax on Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 5293, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Alda & Stefan Bender & Hermann Gartner, 2005. "European Data Watch: The linked employer-employee dataset created from the IAB establishment panel and the process-produced data of the IAB (LIAB)," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 125(2), pages 327-336.
- Mutti, John & Grubert, Harry, 1985. "The taxation of capital income in an open economy: the importance of resident-nonresident tax treatment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 291-309, August.
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1962. "The Incidence of the Corporation Income Tax," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 215.
- Li Liu & Rosanne Altshuler, 2011.
"Measuring the burden of the corporate income tax under imperfect competition,"
1105, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Liu, Li & Altshuler, Rosanne, 2013. "Measuring The Burden Of The Corporate Income Tax Under Imperfect Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 66(1), pages 215-37, March.
- Frank Fossen & Stefan Bach, 2008. "Reforming the German Local Business Tax - Lessons from an International Comparison and a Microsimulation Analysis," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 64(2), pages 245-272, June.
- Bradford, David F., 1978. "Factor prices may be constant but factor returns are not," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 199-203.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:btx:wpaper:1216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dongxian Guo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.