Effective Exchange Rates and Monetary Policy: The Thai Experience
This paper aims to outline the role that effective exchange rates, both real and nominal, play in Thailand’s monetary policy framework. It discusses some of the applications that effective exchange rates have been applied to in practice, highlighting some of the limitations that often arise. Finally, the paper touches on many of the key issues that have to be considered in determining how exchange rate developments should be taken into account in formulating the appropriate stance of monetary policy. In this regard, some evidence on the importance of exchange rate fluctuations for macroeconomic variables and its role in the monetary transmission mechanism in Thailand are presented.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (662) 283-5353
Fax: (662) 280-0449
Web page: http://www.bot.or.th/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael P. Leahy, 1998. "New summary measures of the foreign exchange value of the dollar," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 811-818.
- G. C. Lim, 2000. "Misalignment and Managed Exchange Rates; An Application to the Thai Baht," IMF Working Papers 00/63, International Monetary Fund.
- Piti Disyatat & Pinnarat Wongsinsirikul, 2002.
"Monetary Policy and the Transmission Mechanism in Thailand,"
2002-01, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Disyatat, Piti & Vongsinsirikul, Pinnarat, 2003. "Monetary policy and the transmission mechanism in Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 389-418, June.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Piti Disyatat & Gabriele Galati, 2005. "The effectiveness of foreign exchange intervention in emerging market countries," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Foreign exchange market intervention in emerging markets: motives, techniques and implications, volume 24, pages 97-113 Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bth:wpaper:2005-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pym Manopimoke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.