Difference in Difference Meets Generalized Least Squares: Higher Order Properties of Hypotheses Tests
We investigate estimation and inference in difference in difference econometric models used in the analysis of treatment effects. When the innovations in such models display serial correlation, commonly used ordinary least squares (OLS) procedures are inefficient and may lead to tests with incorrect size. Implementation of feasible generalized least squares (FGLS) procedures is often hindered by too few observations in the cross section to allow for unrestricted estimation of the weight matrix without leading to tests with similar size distortions as conventional OLS based procedures. We analyze the small sample properties of FGLS based tests with a higher order Edgeworth expansion that allows us to construct a size corrected version of the test. We also address the question of optimal temporal aggregation as a method to reduce the dimension of the weight matrix. We apply our procedure to data on regulation of mobile telephone service prices. We find that a size corrected FGLS based test outperforms tests based on OLS.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1984. "Approximate Normality of Generalized Least Squares Estimates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 811-25, July.
- Hansen, Christian B., 2007. "Generalized least squares inference in panel and multilevel models with serial correlation and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 670-694, October.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275, February.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arellano, M, 1987. "Computing Robust Standard Errors for Within-Groups Estimators," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 49(4), pages 431-34, November.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Magnus, J.R. & Neudecker, H., 1979. "The commutation matrix : Some properties and applications," Other publications TiSEM d0b1e779-7795-4676-ac98-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jinyong Hahn & Guido Kuersteiner, 2002. "Asymptotically Unbiased Inference for a Dynamic Panel Model with Fixed Effects when Both "n" and "T" Are Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1639-1657, July.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1988. "Approximate Power Functions for Some Robust Tests of Regression Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 997-1019, September.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Jinyong Hahn & Jerry Hausman & Guido Kuersteiner, 2005. "Bias Corrected Instrumental Variables Estimation for Dynamic Panel Models with Fixed E¤ects," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-024, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Gabor Kezdi, 2005. "Robus Standard Error Estimation in Fixed-Effects Panel Models," Econometrics 0508018, EconWPA.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Rothernberg, Thomas J, 1984. "Hypothesis Testing in Linear Models When the Error Covariance Matrix Is Nonscalar," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 827-42, July.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M., 1980. "Estimation of fixed effect models for time series of cross-sections with arbitrary intertemporal covariance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 195-202, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bos:wpaper:wp2005-010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gillian Gurish)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.