Valuing R & D Investments With A Jump-Diffusion Process
Traditional tools based on DCF methods fail to capture the value of R&D projects because of their dependence on future events that are uncertain at the time of the initial decision. We consider a continuous-time framework where information arrives both continuously and discontinuously. This is modelled by a jump-diffusion process. This assumption better decribes the evolution of asset value due to the risky nature of many real investments. The main contribution of this paper is to derive a closed-form solution for the multicompound option to value sequential investment opportunities when the underlying asset may reasonably undergo the possibility of jumps in value.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan B. Berk, 2004. "Valuation and Return Dynamics of New Ventures," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 1-35.
- Steven R. Grenadier, 2002. "Option Exercise Games: An Application to the Equilibrium Investment Strategies of Firms," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 691-721.
- Elettra, Agliardi & Rossella, Agliardi, 2003. "A generalization of the Geske formula for compound options," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 75-82, February.
- Whaley, Robert E., 1981. "On the valuation of American call options on stocks with known dividends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 207-211, June.
- Saman Majd & Robert S. Pindyck, 1985.
"Time to Build, Option Value, and Investment Decisions,"
NBER Working Papers
1654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Majd, Saman & Pindyck, Robert S., 1987. "Time to build, option value, and investment decisions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 7-27, March.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1993.
"Investments of uncertain cost,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 53-76, August.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Carr, Peter P, 1988. " The Valuation of Sequential Exchange Opportunities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1235-1256, December.
- Gukhal, C.R.Chandrasekhar Reddy, 2004. "The compound option approach to American options on jump-diffusions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2055-2074, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.