The effect of asset price volatility on fiscal policy outcomes
This paper examines the effect of asset price volatility on fiscal policy stance. We find that asset price volatility affects the volatility of discretionary fiscal policy in a positive and significant manner, which according to Fatas and Mihov (2003) has negative repercussions on output volatility and economic growth. Higher residential property price volatility amplifies both the volatility of government spending and the volatility of the discretionary fiscal policy stance. Equity price volatility increases the volatility of the fiscal policy stance, primarily via the government revenue channel.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fatás, Antonio & Mihov, Ilian, 2002.
"The Case for Restricting Fiscal Policy Discretion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ludger Schuknecht & Albert Jaeger, 2004.
"Boom-Bust Phases in Asset Prices and Fiscal Policy Behavior,"
IMF Working Papers
04/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Albert Jaeger & Ludger Schuknecht, 2007. "Boom-Bust Phases in Asset Prices and Fiscal Policy Behavior," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(6), pages 45-66, November.
- Jordi GalÌ & Roberto Perotti, 2003.
"Fiscal policy and monetary integration in Europe,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 533-572, October.
- Galí, Jordi & Perotti, Roberto, 2003. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 3933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordi Gali & Roberto Perotti, 2003. "Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe," NBER Working Papers 9773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Athanasios Tagkalakis, 2009. "Fiscal adjustments and asset price movements," Working Papers 104, Bank of Greece.
- Gali, Jordi, 1994. "Government size and macroeconomic stability," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 117-132, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.