Ideology and Existence of 50%-Majority Equilibria in Multidimensional Spatial Voting Models
When aggregating individual preferences through the majority rule in an n-dimensional spatial voting model, the ‘worst-case’ scenario is a social choice configuration where no political equilibrium exists unless a super majority rate as high as 1 − 1/n is adopted. In this paper we assume that a lower d-dimensional (d
|Date of creation:||17 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990.
"Aggregation and Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
938, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991. "Aggregation and Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Caplin, A. & Nalebuff, B., 1989. "Aggregation And Social Choice: A Mean Voter Theorem," Discussion Papers 1989_31, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Ferejohn, John A. & Grether, David M., .
"On a Class of Rational Social Decision Procedures,"
25, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Caplin, Andrew S & Nalebuff, Barry J, 1988. "On 64%-Majority Rule," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 787-814, July.
- Crès, Hervé & Tvede, Mich, 2009.
"Production in incomplete markets: Expectations matter for political stability,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3-4), pages 212-222, March.
- Hervé Crès & Mich Tvede, 2009. "Production in incomplete markets: Expectations matter for political stability," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10267, Sciences Po.
- Hervé Crès & Mich Tvede, 2009. "Production in Incomplete Markets: Expectations Matter for Political Stability," Discussion Papers 09-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Greenberg, Joseph, 1979. "Consistent Majority Rules over Compact Sets of Alternatives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 627-36, May.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1978. "Intermediate Preferences and the Majority Rule," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 317-30, March.
- Crès, Hervé & Tvede, Mich, 2006.
"Portfolio diversification and internalization of production externalities through majority voting,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
816, HEC Paris.
- Hervé Crès & Mich Tvede, 2005. "Portfolio Diversification and Internalization of Production Externalities through Majority Voting," Sciences Po publications 816/2005, Sciences Po.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:716. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.