The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Trade Credit for Non-Financial Firms
In this paper we hypothesize that greater macroeconomic uncertainty would cause firms to increasingly turn to their suppliers as a source of finance, making greater use of trade credit. We test this hypothesis using a panel of non-financial firms drawn from the annual COMPUSTAT database and show that an increase in macroeconomic uncertainty leads to a narrowing of the cross-sectional distribution of firms' trade credit-to-sales ratios.
|Date of creation:||26 Jun 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA|
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baum, Christopher F. & Caglayan, Mustafa & Ozkan, Neslihan & Talavera, Oleksandr, 2006.
"The impact of macroeconomic uncertainty on non-financial firms' demand for liquidity,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 289-304.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Neslihan Ozkan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2002. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Uncertainty on Non-Financial Firms' Demand for Liquidity," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 552, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Dec 2005.
- Adrian Pagan, 1985.
"Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
741, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Adrian Pagan, 1986. "Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 517-538.
- Smith, Janet Kiholm, 1987. " Trade Credit and Informational Asymmetry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 863-872, September.
- Christopher F Baum & Sylvia Hristakeva, 2001. "DENTON: Stata module to interpolate a flow or stock series from low-frequency totals via proportional Denton method," Statistical Software Components S422501, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 17 Jul 2014.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1997.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 661-691.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, "undated". "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," CRSP working papers 322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996. "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey H. Nilsen, 1999.
"Trade Credit and the Bank Lending Channel,"
99.04, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- J. Stephen Ferris, 1981. "A Transactions Theory of Trade Credit Use," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(2), pages 243-270.
- Paul Beaudry & Mustafa Caglayan & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2001.
"Monetary Instability, the Predictability of Prices, and the Allocation of Investment: An Empirical Investigation Using U.K. Panel Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 648-662, June.
- Paul Beaudry & Mustafa Caglayan & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1996. "Monetary Instability, the Predictability of Prices and the Allocation of Investment: An Empirical Investigation Using UK Panel Data," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 312., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Schwartz, Robert A., 1974. "An Economic Model of Trade Credit," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 643-657, September.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-247, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:566. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.