Price of Anarchy in Sequencing Situations and the Impossibility to Coordinate
Scheduling jobs of decentralized decision makers that are in competition will usually lead to cost inefficiencies. This cost inefficiency is studied using the Price of Anarchy (PoA), i.e., the ratio between the worst Nash equilibrium cost and the cost attained at the centralized optimum. First, we provide a tight upperbound for the PoA that depends on the number of machines involved. Second, we show that it is impossible to design a scheduled-based coordinating mechanism in which a Nash equilibrium enforces the centralized or first best optimum. Finally, by simulations we illustrate that on average the PoA is relatively small with respect to the established tight upperbound.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 542-1222
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://www.barcelonagse.eu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-195639 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yossi Bukchin & Eran Hanany, 2007. "Decentralization Cost in Scheduling: A Game-Theoretic Approach," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 263-275, October.
- van den Nouweland, Anne & Krabbenborg, Marc & Potters, Jos, 1992. "Flow-shops with a dominant machine," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 38-46, October.
- Heydenreich, Birgit & Müller, Rudolf & Uetz, Marc, 2006. "Games and Mechanism Design in Machine Scheduling – An Introduction," Research Memorandum 022, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Tolga Aydinliyim & George L. Vairaktarakis, 2010. "Coordination of Outsourced Operations to Minimize Weighted Flow Time and Capacity Booking Costs," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 12(2), pages 236-255, January.
- Heydenreich Birgit & Müller, Rudolf & Uetz, Marc, 2006. "Decentralization and Mechanism Design for Online Machine Scheduling," Research Memorandum 007, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Manipushpak Mitra & Roland Hain, 2001.
"Simple Sequencing Problems with Interdependent Costs,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse20_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hain, Roland & Mitra, Manipushpak, 2004. "Simple sequencing problems with interdependent costs," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 271-291, August.
- Estevez Fernandez, M.A. & Borm, P.E.M. & Calleja, P. & Hamers, H.J.M., 2008.
"Sequencing games with repeated players,"
Other publications TiSEM
e80f7089-c7f4-4683-9f13-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Curiel, I. & Potters, J.A.M. & Rajendra Prasad, V. & Tijs, S.H. & Veltman, B., 1994. "Sequencing and cooperation," Other publications TiSEM be67f9e9-7a4a-47f1-9fb9-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154243 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154192 is not listed on IDEAS
- Curiel, Imma & Pederzoli, Giorgio & Tijs, Stef, 1989. "Sequencing games," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 344-351, June.
- Curiel, I. & Pederzoli, G. & Tijs, S.H., 1989. "Sequencing games," Other publications TiSEM cd695be5-0f54-4548-a952-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- George L. Vairaktarakis, 2013. "Noncooperative Games for Subcontracting Operations," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 148-158, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bge:wpaper:709. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.