Is There a Bank lending Channel in France? Evidence From Bank Panel Data
The aim of this paper is to check the possible existence of a bank lending channel in France. For that purpose, we have estimated a dynamic reduced form model allowing for asymmetries in loan supply across banks, depending on their size, liquidity and capitalization. We have used a panel of 312 French banks observed quarterly over the period 1993-2000. We find some asymmetry between liquid and illiquid banks, the latter being more sensitive to a monetary policy tightening. This result is in accordance with that obtained for several other countries of the Euro area. It constitutes an indication that, as far as they can, French banks sell part of their liquid assets in order to shield their loan portfolio from the effects of increases in the interest rate. Contrary to what has been found for the US (e.g., see Kashyap and Stein (1995, 2000) and Kishan and Opiela (2000)), we do not find the two other banks' characteristics we consider (size and capitalization) to have any significant impact on bank lending.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sevestre, Patrick & Martinez-Pages, Jorge & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001.
"Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2001,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge & Sevestre, Patrick & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0105, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0118, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martï¿½nez-Pagï¿½s & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Fynancial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 432, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Favero, Carlo A. & Flabbi, Luca & Giavazzi, Francesco, 1999.
"The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Europe: Evidence from Banks' Balance Sheets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2303, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlo A. Favero & Francesco Giavazzi & Luca Flabbi, 1999. "The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Europe: Evidence from Banks' Balance Sheets," NBER Working Papers 7231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Giavazzi, 1999. "The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Europe: Evidence from Banks’ Balance Sheets," Working papers 99-20, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
NBER Working Papers
5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Working Papers 95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521783248 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Kashyap, Anil K. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1995.
"The impact of monetary policy on bank balance sheets,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 151-195, June.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994. "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Balance Sheets," NBER Working Papers 4821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521788885 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2001.
"Bank-specific characteristics and monetary policy transmission: the case of Italy,"
Working Paper Series
0103, European Central Bank.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2001. "Bank-Specific Characteristics and Monetary Policy Transmission: The Case of Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 430, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Loupias, Claire & Savignac, Frédérique & Sevestre, Patrick, 2001. "Monetary policy and bank lending in France: are there asymmetries?," Working Paper Series 0101, European Central Bank.
- Élizabeth Kremp & Patrick Sevestre, 2000. "L'appartenance à un groupe facilite le financement des entreprises," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 336(1), pages 79-92.
- Worms, Andreas, 2001. "The reaction of bank lending to monetary policy measures in Germany," Working Paper Series 0096, European Central Bank.
- Gambacorta, L. & Martínez-Pagés, J. & Sevestre, P. & Worms, A., 2002. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area.Author-Name: Ehrmann, M," Working papers 93, Banque de France.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.