Ethnic Groups and Anthropometric Differences in Colombia
Using data from the 2010 Colombia Demographic and Health Survey and of the National Survey of the Nutritional Situation in Colombia (ENDS-ENSIN), we analyzed the evolution of the height for the Colombian birth cohorts in the period 1946-1992 by ethnic groups defined through self-classification. We find that there are statistically significant differences in height between the ethnic groups considered. Those who identified themselves as Afrocolombians have greater average height than the indigenous group and are also taller than those who don’t identify themselves as belonging to either of these two groups. This latter category was denominated in the survey as others. We also find that the height gap between afros and others became smaller during the time period under study. Moreover, the results suggest that the Colombian indigenous group has a higher potential for growth in ‘biological well-being’ if their socioeconomic status improves.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Semi-sótano|
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adolfo Meisel & Margarita Vega, 2005.
"The Stature Of The Colombian Elite Before The Onset Of Industrialization, 1870-1919,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003627, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Adolfo Meisel & Margarita Vega, . "The Stature of the Colombian Elite Before the Onset of Industrialization, 1870-1919," Borradores de Economia 339, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Meisel, Adolfo & Vega, Margarita, 2007. "The biological standard of living (and its convergence) in Colombia, 1870-2003: A tropical success story," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 100-122, March.
- Luis Armando Galvis. & Adolfo Meisel Roca., 2010.
"Persistencia de las desigualdades regionales en Colombia: Un análisis espacial,"
Documentos de trabajo sobre Economía Regional
120, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Armando Galvis Aponte & Adolfo Meisel R., 2010. "Persistencia de las desigualdades regionales en Colombia: Un análisis espacial," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 006631, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Karina Acosta O., 2012.
"La desnutrición en los primeros años de vida: Un análisis regional para Colombia,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL
009297, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Karina Acosta Ordoñez., 2012. "La desnutrición en los primeros años de vida: Un análisis regional para Colombia," Documentos de trabajo sobre Economía Regional 160, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Komlos, John, 2010. "The recent decline in the height of African-American women," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 58-66, March.
- Monasterio, Leonardo M & Noguerol, Luiz Paulo, 2005. "Growth and inequalities of height in Brazil (1939-1981)," MPRA Paper 769, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:731. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.