Anthropometric measurements by ethnicity in Colombia, 1965–1990
We analyzed the evolution of height in Colombia of cohorts born in the period 1965–1990 by ethnic groups. We found that Afro-Colombian men and women were the tallest: 6cm taller than indigenous people and 2cm taller than the rest of the population. We also found that the height gap between Afro-Colombians and others decreased during the period under study by 0.7cm for both men and women. While improvements were noticeable among the Afro-Colombians and those who chose not to be classified by ethnicity, in the case of the indigenous population only female cohorts registered an average-height increase of 1.5cm. Moreover, we found that indigenous Colombians were more likely than other ethnic groups to experience an increase in biological well-being as a consequence of an improvement in their socio-economic status, thereby reducing the average-stature gap between them and the rest of the population by 2.1 and 3.6cm for men and women, respectively.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cole, T. J., 2003. "The secular trend in human physical growth: a biological view," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 161-168, June.
- Sahn, David E. & Alderman, Harold, 1997. "On the determinants of nutrition in Mozambique: The importance of age-specific effects," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 577-588, January.
- Hohmann, Sophie & Garenne, Michel, 2010. "Health and wealth in Uzbekistan and sub-Saharan Africa in comparative perspective," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 346-360, December.
- Attanasio, Orazio & Gomez, Luis Carlos & Rojas, Ana Gomez & Vera-Hernandez, Marcos, 2004. "Child health in rural Colombia: determinants and policy interventions," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 411-438, December.
- Richard H. Steckel, 2008.
"Heights and Human Welfare: Recent Developments and New Directions,"
NBER Working Papers
14536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steckel, Richard H., 2009. "Heights and human welfare: Recent developments and new directions," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2006.
"Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania: Combined effects of income growth and program interventions,"
Economics & Human Biology,
Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Alderman, Harold & Hoogeveen, Hans & Rossi, Mariacristina, 2005. "Reducing child malnutrition in Tanzania - combined effects of income growth and program interventions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3567, The World Bank.
- Richard H. Steckel, 1995. "Stature and the Standard of Living," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1903-1940, December.
- Luis Armando Galvis Aponte & Adolfo Meisel R., 2010. "Persistencia de las desigualdades regionales en Colombia: Un análisis espacial," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 006631, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 2001. "Estimating Wealth Effects Without Expenditure Data—Or Tears: An Application To Educational Enrollments In States Of India," Demography, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Komlos, John, 2010. "The recent decline in the height of African-American women," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 58-66, March.
- Karina Acosta O., 2012. "La desnutrición en los primeros años de vida: Un análisis regional para Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 009297, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Linnemayr, Sebastian & Alderman, Harold & Ka, Abdoulaye, 2008. "Determinants of malnutrition in Senegal: Individual, household, community variables, and their interaction," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 252-263, July.
- Meisel, Adolfo & Vega, Margarita, 2007. "The biological standard of living (and its convergence) in Colombia, 1870-2003: A tropical success story," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 100-122, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ehbiol:v:11:y:2013:i:4:p:416-425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.