Tempered stable Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes: a practical view
We study the one-dimensional Ornstein-Uhlenbeck (OU) processes with marginal law given by the tempered stable and tempered infinitely divisible distributions proposed by Rosinski (2007) and Bianchi et al. (2010b), respectively. In general, the use of non-Gaussian OU processes is impeded by difficulty in calibration and simulation. Accordingly, we investigate the law of transition between consecutive observations of OU processes and - with a view to practical applications - evaluate the characteristic function of integrated tempered OU processes in three cases: classical tempered stable, variance gamma, and rapidly decreasing tempered stable. Then we analyze how one can draw a random sample from this class of processes using both the classical inverse transform algorithm and an acceptance-rejection method based on the simulation of a stable random sample. Finally, with a maximum likelihood estimation method based on the fast Fourier transform, we assess the performance of the simulation algorithm empirically.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst Eberlein & Sebastian Raible, 1999. "Term Structure Models Driven by General Lévy Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 31-53.
- Matthias Scherer & Svetlozar T. Rachev & Young Shin Kim & Frank J. Fabozzi, 2012. "Approximation of skewed and leptokurtic return distributions," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(16), pages 1305-1316, August.
- Thomas Kokholm & Elisa Nicolato, 2010. "Sato Processes in Default Modelling," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 377-397.
- Wylomanska-, Agnieszka, 2010.
"Measures of dependence for Ornstein-Uhlenbeck processes with tempered stable distribution,"
28535, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Agnieszka Wylomanska, 2011. "Measures of dependence for Ornstein–Uhlenbeck processes with tempered stable distribution," HSC Research Reports HSC/11/04, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Massimo Libertucci & Francesco Piersante, 2012. "Start-up banksï¿½ default and the role of capital," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 890, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_912_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.