Foreign holders of Italian government debt securities: new evidence
Drawing on data from the Eurosystem’s recent Securities Holdings Statistics (SHS) and the IMF’s Coordinated Portfolio Investment Survey (CPIS), the paper provides a detailed breakdown of foreign holders of Italian government securities by sector and geographical area. We estimate that euro-area investors held more than 60 per cent of the Italian general government securities held by non-residents at the end of 2015; the sector in the euro area holding the largest share was 'other financial intermediaries' (predominantly non-money market funds), followed by banks and the insurance industry and pension funds. We also show that foreign demand for Italian government debt was mainly driven by euro-area countries in 2014, while in 2015 it mostly reflected purchases made by investors outside the euro area.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009.
"Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 8-62, April.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(2), pages 143-197, June.
- Ayhan Kose & Eswar S Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Financial Globalization; A Reappraisal," IMF Working Papers 06/189, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 12484, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kose, Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Rogoff, Kenneth & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," CEPR Discussion Papers 5842, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriel Zucman, 2013. "The Missing Wealth of Nations: Are Europe and the U.S. net Debtors or net Creditors?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 128(3), pages 1321-1364.
- Gabriel Zucman, 2012. "The missing wealth of nations: Are Europe and the U.S. net debtors or net creditors?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00565224, HAL.
- Gabriel Zucman, 2013. "The Missing Wealth of Nations: Are Europe and the U.S. net Debtors or net Creditors?," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-01053616, HAL.
- Alberto Felettigh & Paola Monti, 2008. "How to interpret the CPIS data on the distribution of foreign portfolio assets in the presence of sizeable cross-border positions in mutual funds. Evidence for Italy and the main euro-area countries," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 16, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Valeria Pellegrini & Enrico Tosti, 2012. "In search of lost capital: an estimation of undeclared portfolio assets," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 131, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_363_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.