Fiat Money and the Value of Binding Portfolio Constraints
It is well known that, under uniform impatience, positive net supply assets are free of bubbles for non-arbitrage kernel deflators that yield finite present values of wealth. However, this does not mean that prices cannot be above the series of deflated dividends for the deflators given by the agents' marginal rates of substitution, which also yield finite present values of wealth. In particular, binding no-short-sales constraints lead to positive prices of fiat money. These monetary equilibria are Pareto improvements but they are still inefficient.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mário Páscoa & Myrian Petrassi & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2008.
"Fiat money and the value of binding portfolio constraints,"
wp283, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Mário Páscoa & Myrian Petrassi & Juan Torres-Martínez, 2011. "Fiat money and the value of binding portfolio constraints," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 46(2), pages 189-209, February.
- Mário R. Páscoa & Myrian Petrassi & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2009. "Fiat Money and the Value of Binding Portfolio Constraints," Working Papers Series 176, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Páscoa, Mário R. & Petrassi, Myrian & Torres-Martínez, Juan Pablo, 2009. "Fiat money and the value of binding portfolio constraints," MPRA Paper 13782, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laibson, David, 1998. "Life-cycle consumption and hyperbolic discount functions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 861-871, May.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1997.
"Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 19-58, January.
- Woodford, Michael & Santos, Manuel S., 1995. "Rational asset pricing bubbles," UC3M Working papers. Economics 3913, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1993. "Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles," Working Papers 9304, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Páscoa, Mario Rui & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Barbachan, José Santiago Fajardo, 2003.
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
511, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Araujo, Aloisio. & Fajardo, J. & Páscoa. M. R., 2004. "Endogenous Collateral," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_68, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- MÃ¡rio PÃ¡scoa & Aloisio Araujo & JosÃ© Fajardo, 2004. "Endogenous Collateral," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 161, Econometric Society.
- Hernandez D., Alejandro & Santos, Manuel S., 1996. "Competitive Equilibria for Infinite-Horizon Economies with Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 102-130, October.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1973.
"On the Efficiency of a Monetary Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 149-165.
- Elyégs Jouini & Hédi Kallal, 1995. "Arbitrage In Securities Markets With Short-Sales Constraints," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 197-232.
- Magill, Michael & Quinzii, Martine, 1996.
"Incomplete markets over an infinite horizon: Long-lived securities and speculative bubbles,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 133-170.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1993. "Icomplete Markets Over an Infinite Horizon: Long-Lived Securities and Speculative Bubbles," Papers 9321, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Frank Hahn, 1973. "On Transaction Costs, Inessential Sequence Economies and Money," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(4), pages 449-461.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 355-372.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.