Fiat Money and the Value of Binding Portfolio Constraints
It is well known that, under uniform impatience, positive net supply assets are free of bubbles for non-arbitrage kernel deflators that yield finite present values of wealth. However, this does not mean that prices cannot be above the series of deflated dividends for the deflators given by the agents' marginal rates of substitution, which also yield finite present values of wealth. In particular, binding no-short-sales constraints lead to positive prices of fiat money. These monetary equilibria are Pareto improvements but they are still inefficient.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mário Páscoa & Myrian Petrassi & Juan Torres-Martínez, 2011.
"Fiat money and the value of binding portfolio constraints,"
Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 189-209, February.
- Mário R. Páscoa & Myrian Petrassi & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2009. "Fiat Money and the Value of Binding Portfolio Constraints," Working Papers Series 176, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Mário Páscoa & Myrian Petrassi & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2008. "Fiat money and the value of binding portfolio constraints," Working Papers wp283, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Páscoa, Mário R. & Petrassi, Myrian & Torres-Martínez, Juan Pablo, 2009. "Fiat money and the value of binding portfolio constraints," MPRA Paper 13782, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magill, Michael & Quinzii, Martine, 1996.
"Incomplete markets over an infinite horizon: Long-lived securities and speculative bubbles,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 133-170.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1993. "Icomplete Markets Over an Infinite Horizon: Long-Lived Securities and Speculative Bubbles," Papers 9321, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1997.
"Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 19-58, January.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Younes, Yves, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 355-72, July.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Younes, Yves, 1973.
"On the Efficiency of a Monetary Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 149-65, April.
- Páscoa, Mario Rui & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Barbachan, José Fajardo, 2003.
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
511, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Araujo, Aloisio. & Fajardo, J. & Páscoa. M. R., 2004. "Endogenous Collateral," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_68, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- MÃ¡rio PÃ¡scoa & Aloisio Araujo & JosÃ© Fajardo, 2004. "Endogenous Collateral," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 161, Econometric Society.
- Hernandez D., Alejandro & Santos, Manuel S., 1996. "Competitive Equilibria for Infinite-Horizon Economies with Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 102-130, October.
- Laibson, David, 1998. "Life-cycle consumption and hyperbolic discount functions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 861-871, May.
- Elyégs Jouini & Hédi Kallal, 1995. "Arbitrage In Securities Markets With Short-Sales Constraints," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 197-232.
- Hahn, Frank H, 1973. "On Transaction Costs, Inessential Sequence Economies and Money," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 449-61, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.