How Do Canadian Banks That Deal in Foreign Exchange Hedge Their Exposure to Risk?
No abstract is available for this item.
|Length:||40 pages Abstract: This paper examines the daily hedging and risk-management practices of financial intermediaries in the Canadian foreign exchange (FX) market. Results reported in this paper suggest that financial institutions behave similarly when managing their market risk exposure. In particular, dealing banks do not fully hedge their spot market risk. The results reported support arguments by Stulz (1996) and Froot and Stein (1998) that the amount of hedging will depend on a firm's comparative advantage in bearing risk. While the extent of hedging is found to depend on market volatility and the magnitude of their risk exposure, the uniqueness of the dataset employed in this paper allows for an explicit test of the various sources of comparative advantage that dealing banks in the FX markets have in their role as market-makers. Private information via customer order flow, guaranteed access to liquidity, and the capital-allocation structure of a dealer's financial institution are potential sources of comparative advantage to dealing banks in the FX market. A model with private information and an imperfectly competitive environment is provided to illustrate hedging when informed agents in a multiple security market behave strategically. Empirical results suggest that dealing banks only selectively hedge speculative positions taken in the spot market in the forward market. Findings also suggest that dealing banks share in the risk exposure of the spot market's net position without simultaneously hedging this risk.|
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1991. " Measuring the Information Content of Stock Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 179-207, March.
- H. Henry Cao & Richard K. Lyons & Martin D.D. Evans, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
9893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stoughton, Neal & Zechner, Josef, 1999. "Optimal Capital Allocation Using RAROC And EVA," CEPR Discussion Papers 2344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996.
"Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
96-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1998. "Risk management, capital budgeting, and capital structure policy for financial institutions: an integrated approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 55-82, January.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996. "Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach," NBER Working Papers 5403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takatoshi Ito & Richard K. Lyons & Michael T. Melvin, 1996.
"Is There Private Information in the FX Market? The Tokyo Experiment,"
_005, University of California at Berkeley, Haas School of Business.
- Takatoshi Ito & Richard K. Lyons & Michael T. Melvin, 1998. "Is There Private Information in the FX Market? The Tokyo Experiment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1111-1130, 06.
- Takatosh Ito & Richard K. Lyons & Michael T. Melvin, 1997. "Is there private information in the FX market? the Tokyo experiment," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 97-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ito, T. & Lyons, R. & Melvin, M.T., 1997. "Is There Private Information on the FX Market? The Tokyo Experiment," Papers 97-04, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Takatoshi Ito Richard K. Lyons and Michael T. Melvin., 1997. "Is There Private Information in the FX Market? The Tokyo Experiment," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-270, University of California at Berkeley.
- Takatoshi Ito & Richard K. Lyons & Michael T. Melvin, 1997. "Is There Private Information in the FX Market? The Tokyo Experiment," NBER Working Papers 5936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chris D'Souza & Alexandra Lai, 2002.
"The Effects of Bank Consolidation on Risk Capital Allocation and Market Liquidity,"
02-5, Bank of Canada.
- Chris D'Souza & Alexandra Lai, 2002. "The effects of bank consolidation on risk capital allocation and market liquidity," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 86-109 Bank for International Settlements.
- Chris D'Souza & Alexandra Lai, 2006. "The Effects Of Bank Consolidation On Risk Capital Allocation And Market Liquidity," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 271-291.
- Chow, Ying-Foon & McAleer, Michael & Sequeira, John M, 2000. " Pricing of Forward and Futures Contracts," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 215-53, April.
- Cornell, Bradford & Reinganum, Marc R, 1981. "Forward and Futures Prices: Evidence from the Foreign Exchange Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(5), pages 1035-45, December.
- Albéric Braas & Charles N. Bralver, 1990. "An Analysis Of Trading Profits: How Most Trading Rooms Really Make Money," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 2(4), pages 85-90.
- Madhavan, Ananth & Smidt, Seymour, 1993. " An Analysis of Changes in Specialist Inventories and Quotations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1595-1628, December.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Wong, Clement Yuk-Pang, 2000. "A survey of market practitioners' views on exchange rate dynamics," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 401-419, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:02-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.