There is a growing literature considering deviations from standard constant discounting. In this paper we combine time-inconsistent (non-constant discounting) preferences with recursive utilities. We apply this setting to the demand side properties of what we call arduous goods. The rational for a non-standard discounting is that production and consumption are not separable in these kinds of goods. The necessary effort implies that individuals discount consumption of these goods in a special way: both biased preferences and dynamic recursive adjustment are present. In this way, willingness to make an effort, modeled as a discount factor, becomes endogenous.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujii, Tomoki & Karp, Larry, 2008. "Numerical analysis of non-constant pure rate of time preference: A model of climate policy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 83-101, July.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1987. "The Global Stability of Efficient Intertemporal Allocations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 329-55, March.
- Robert J. Barro, 1999. "Ramsey Meets Laibson In The Neoclassical Growth Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1125-1152, November.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1983. "Stationary cardinal utility and optimal growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 133-152, October.
- Karp, Larry, 2007.
"Non-constant discounting in continuous time,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 557-568, January.
- Karp, Larry, 2005. "Non-Constant Discounting in Continuous Time," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt0nn1t22z, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry, 2004. "Non-Constant Discounting in Continuous Time," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7pr05084, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry, 2004. "Non-constant discounting in continuous time," CUDARE Working Paper Series 0969, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Laibson, David I., 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1959. "Stationary Ordinal Utility and Impatience," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 81, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bar:bedcje:2009230. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.