Fiscal Decentralization in Peru: A Perspective on Recent Developments and Future Challenges
ODecentralization is a fairly recent process in Peru that has been driven by a mixture of democratization, state modernization, increased accountability in service delivery, and regional economic development objectives. Politics has also played an important role. Overall, the general approach to decentralization reform in Peru has been cautious and conservative and by design its implementation has been gradual. With hindsight there were several important missteps that could have been avoided. There are other important aspects that will require substantial reform efforts in the coming years, including the formation of macroregions and how to undo the important negative consequences of the canon system. Peru is today at a stage where the question is what final form of decentralization to adopt. This paperer provides a blueprint for achieving a more efficient and equitable decentralization system in the country.
|Date of creation:||02 Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorge Vega Castro, 2008. "Análisis del proceso de descentralización fiscal en el Perú," Documentos de Trabajo / Working Papers 2008-266, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- JosÈ M. Albala-Bertrand & Emmanuel C. Mamatzakis, 2004.
"The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 266-278, May.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand & Emmanouel C. Mamatzakis, 2001. "The Impact of Public Infrastructure on the Productivity of the Chilean Economy," Working Papers 435, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Andrey Timofeev, 2005. "Choosing between Centralized and Decentralized Models of Tax Administration (2005)," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0502, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Cristian Sepúlveda, 2012. "Sub-national Revenue Mobilization in Peru," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1209, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Jorge Martínez-Vázquez & Cristián Sepúlveda, 2012. "Sub-national Revenue Mobilization in Peru," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 3951, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Cristian Sepulveda, 2012. "Sub-national Revenue Mobilization in Peru," Research Department Publications 4768, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Deller, Steven C & Rudnicki, Edward, 1992. "Managerial Efficiency in Local Government: Implications on Jurisdictional Consolidation," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 221-231, September.
- Rogers Ahlbrandt, 1973. "Efficiency in the provision of fire services," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, September.
- B. Dahlby & L. S. Wilson, 1994. "Fiscal Capacity, Tax Effort, and Optimal Equalization Grants," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 657-672, August.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Ming-Hung Yao, 2009. "Fiscal Decentralization and Public Sector Employment: A Cross-Country Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0903, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Gyimah-Brempong, Kwabena, 1987. "Economies of Scale in Municipal Police Departments: The Case of Florida," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 352-356, May.
- Bodkin, Ronald G & Conklin, David W, 1971. "Scale and Other Determinants of Municipal Government Expenditures in Ontario: A Quantitative Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(3), pages 465-481, October.
- James Alm & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Dana Weist & Dana Weist, 2004. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Reforming Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations and the Rebuilding of Indonesia, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Signe Zeikate, 2004. "Ukraine: Assessment of the Implementation of the New Formula Based Inter-Governmental Transfer System," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0408, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Eduardo Morón & Cynthia Sanborn, 2006. "The Pitfalls of Policymaking in Peru: Actors, Institutions and Rules of the Game," Research Department Publications 3202, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Morón & Cynthia Sanborn, 2006. "The Pitfalls of Policymaking in Peru: Actors, Institutions and Rules of the Game," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 39758, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Nora Gordon & Brian Knight, 2006. "The Causes of Political Integration: An Application to School Districts," NBER Working Papers 12047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian von Haldenwang, 2010. "Taxation, Fiscal Decentralisation and Legitimacy: The Role of Semi-Autonomous Tax Agencies in Peru," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(6), pages 643-667, November.
- Alt, James E., 1971. "Some Social and Political Correlates of County Borough Expenditures," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 49-62, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper1324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.