Tax Policy in Pakistan: An Assessment of Major Taxes and Options for Reform
This paper undertakes a critical evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of all of Pakistan’s major sources of tax revenue: the individual income tax, the corporate income tax, the sales tax, excise taxes and trade taxes on imports. For each major tax it describes the nature of the current tax base and the rate or rate structure that is applied to that base. After that exercise the paper identifies certain features of each tax that raise significant concerns for tax policy and constitute the beginning of an agenda for future tax reform. In each case the tax policy issues that have been flagged are discussed within a policy framework that appeals to the broadly accepted norms of “good” taxation and international experience in grappling with these issues. The concluding section of this paper sets forth for consideration an array of tax reform proposals that attempt to address the most important flaws and problems that have been detected in Pakistan’s tax system.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klara Sabirianova Peter & Steve Buttrick & Denvil Duncan, 2007.
"Global Reform of Personal Income Taxation, 1981-2005: Evidence from 189 Countries,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0721, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Peter, Klara Sabirianova & Buttrick, Steve & Duncan, Denvil, 2010. "Global Reform Of Personal Income Taxation, 1981–2005: Evidence From 189 Countries," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 63(3), pages 447-78, September.
- Peter, Klara Sabirianova & Buttrick, Steve & Duncan, Denvil, 2009. "Global Reform of Personal Income Taxation, 1981-2005: Evidence from 189 Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 4228, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2006. "Pakistan: A Preliminary Assessment of the Federal Tax System," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0624, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Kelly D. Edmiston & Richard M. Bird, 2007.
"Taxing Consumption in Jamaica,"
Public Finance Review,
, vol. 35(1), pages 26-56, January.
- Saadia Refaqat, 2003. "Social Incidence of the General Sales Tax in Pakistan," IMF Working Papers 03/216, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper0808. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.