The Dual Income Tax: Implementation and Experience in European Countries
The paper summarizes the arguments in favour of a shift from comprehensive to dual income taxation and complements the discussion by an overview on tax reforms which reveal the characteristic features of a dual income tax system. The scope of our analysis is not restricted to the Nordic countries, we also include other European countries, whose tax reform steps can be regarded as a move toward a dual income tax. Although there are problems of implementing and running a dual income tax system, we argue that it may be worthwhile for the Commission to consider dual income taxation as a blueprint for income tax coordination in the EU.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vidar Christiansen, 2004. "Norwegian Income Tax Reforms," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(3), pages 09-14, October.
- Christoph Spengel & Wolfgang Wiegard, 2004. "Dual Income Tax: A Pragmatic Tax Reform Alternative for Germany," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(3), pages 15-22, October.
- Martin D. Dietz & Christian Keuschnigg, 2005.
"A Growth Oriented Dual Income Tax,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1513, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robin Boadway, 2004. "The Dual Income Tax System - An Overview," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(3), pages 03-08, October.
- Massimo Bordignon & Silvia Giannini & Paolo Panteghini, 2001. "Reforming Business Taxation: Lessons from Italy?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 191-210, March.
- Nielsen, Soren Bo & Sorensen, Peter Birch, 1997. "On the optimality of the Nordic system of dual income taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 311-329, February.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Bernd Genser, 2005. "Dual Income Taxation in EU Member Countries," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(1), pages 41-47, 04.
- Sijbren Cnossen, 1999. "Taxing Capital Income in the Nordic Countries: A Model for the European Union?," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 56(1), pages 18-50, March.
- Sijbren Cnossen & Lans Bovenberg, 2000.
"Fundamental Tax Reform in The Netherlands,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
342, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bradford, D., 1988. "An Uncluttered Income Tax: The Next Reform Agenda," Papers 20, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Peter Sørensen, 1994. "From the global income tax to the dual income tax: Recent tax reforms in the Nordic countries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 57-79, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper0625. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.