Italy from economic decline to the current crisis
The objective of this paper is to show that the current global economic crisis in which also Italy fell in 2008 represents indeed for the Italian economy just the last step of a much longer declining path which started in the nineties or to be more precise in 1992-93. In particular, I argue, the reasons which explain the long Italian decline, and partly also the deeper recession today and the lack of recovery from the current crisis can be found in the past reforms of the labour market, and in particular in the labour flexibility introduced in the last 15 years, which had, along with other policies introduced in parallel, cumulative negative consequences on the inequality, on the consumption, on the aggregate demand, on the labour productivity and on the GDP dynamics.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57335729
Fax: +39 06 57335779
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/astril
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pasquale Tridico, 2007. "Flessibilità e istituzioni nel mercato del lavoro: dagli economisti classici agli economisti istituzionalisti," Working Papers 0706, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2007.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Francesco Saraceno, 2010.
"Inequality and macroeconomic performance,"
Sciences Po publications
2010-13, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Francesco Saraceno, 2010. "Inequality and Macroeconomic Performance," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2010-13, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Francesco Saraceno, 2010. "Inequality and macroeconomic performance," Working Papers hal-01069429, HAL.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Guglielmo Weber, 1999. "The Italian Recession Of 1993: Aggregate Implications Of Microeconomic Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 237-249, May.
- Raffaelle Miniaci & Guglielmo Weber, 1996. "The Italian recession of 1993: Aggregate implications of microeconomic evidence," IFS Working Papers W96/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Pasquale Tridico, 2012. "The impact of the economic crisis on the EU labour market: a comparative perspective," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0153, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, "undated". "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leonello Tronti & Francesca Ceccato, 2005. "Il lavoro atipico in Italia: caratteristiche, diffusione e dinamica," ARGOMENTI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2005(14).
- Lilla Marco, 2005. "Disuguaglianze salariali in Italia: nuove evidenze dai microdati SHIW," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 71-102.
- Salop, Steven C, 1979. "A Model of the Natural Rate of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 117-125, March.
- Robert Boyer, 2009. "Come conciliare la solidarietà sociale e l’efficienza economica nell’era della globalizzazione: un punto di vista "regolazionista"," ARGOMENTI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2009(25), pages 5-29.
- Alfred Kleinknecht & C.W.M. Naastepad, 2005. "The Netherlands: Failure of a neo-classical policy agenda," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 1193-1203, July.
- Sebastiano Fadda, 2005. "Per una integrazione tra politiche del lavoro e politiche di sviluppo," ARGOMENTI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2005(14).
- Torrini Roberto, 2005. "Quota dei profitti e redditività del capitale in Italia: un tentativo di interpretazione," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 7-42.
- Alfred Kleinknecht & Remco Oostendorp & Menno Pradhan & C. W. M. Naastepad, 2006. "Flexible Labour, Firm Performance and the Dutch Job Creation Miracle," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 171-187.
- Levrero Enrico Sergio & Stirati Antonella, 2005. "Distribuzione del reddito e prezzi relativi in Italia 1970-2002," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 401-434.
- Leonello TRONTI, 2005. "Protocollo di Luglio e crescita economica: l’occasione perduta," Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 113(2), pages 345-370.
- Aldo Barba & Massimo Pivetti, 2009. "Rising household debt: Its causes and macroeconomic implications--a long-period analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 113-137, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ast:wpaper:0005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.