A model of financial contagion with variable asset returns may be replaced with a simple threshold model of cascades
I show the equivalence between a model of financial contagion and the threshold model of global cascades proposed by Watts (2002). The model financial network comprises banks that hold risky external assets as well as interbank assets. It is shown that a simple threshold model can replicate the size and the frequency of financial contagion without using information about individual balance sheets. Keywords: financial network, cascades, financial contagion, systemic risk.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2007.
"Network models and financial stability,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2033-2060, June.
- Teruyoshi Kobayashi, 2013.
"Network versus portfolio structure in financial systems,"
- Teruyoshi Kobayashi, 2013. "Network versus portfolio structure in financial systems," Discussion Papers 1307, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Teruyoshi Kobayashi & Kohei Hasui, 2013. "Efficient immunization strategies to prevent financial contagion," Papers 1308.0652, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2013.
- Jan Lorenz & Stefano Battiston & Frank Schweitzer, .
"Systemic Risk in a Unifying Framework for Cascading Processes on Networks,"
CCSS-09-011, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- J. Lorenz & S. Battiston & F. Schweitzer, 2009. "Systemic risk in a unifying framework for cascading processes on networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 71(4), pages 441-460, October.
- Jan Lorenz & Stefano Battiston & Frank Schweitzer, 2009. "Systemic Risk in a Unifying Framework for Cascading Processes on Networks," Papers 0907.5325, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2010.
- Upper, Christian, 2011. "Simulation methods to assess the danger of contagion in interbank markets," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 111-125, August.
- Lenzu, Simone & Tedeschi, Gabriele, 2012.
"Systemic risk on different interbank network topologies,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 391(18), pages 4331-4341.
- Simone LENZU & Gabriele TEDESCHI, 2012. "Systemic risk on different interbank network topologies," Working Papers 375, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter E. Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Gai, Prasanna & Haldane, Andrew & Kapadia, Sujit, 2011. "Complexity, concentration and contagion," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 453-470.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1312.6804. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.