Contructing A Broader Measure Of Welfare Incorporating The Access To Public Goods
This paper attempts to construct a broader measure of welfare that takes in account the access people have to some public goods. If the data on household access to public goods and private assets is assumed to be the result of a maximization problem, a latent indirect utility level may be estimated by some factor model. In this paper the individual measure of welfare is constructed using Principal Component Analysis (PCA) in the ownership of private assets and the existence of public goods in the neighborhood the agent lives in. The resulting welfare distributions are used in different analysis: Calculate the treatment effect of having access to certain public goods; investigate the effects of public goods in poverty and inequality alleviation; development of an algorithm to locate public goods in order to maximize some social welfare function.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
Phone: 55 21 3674 7952
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Prof Marcos Valdemar de Freitas Reis s/n Campus do Gragoatá Bloco F Niterói, RJ 24210-201 Brazil|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten & Heckman, James, 2003.
"Estimating distributions of treatment effects with an application to the returns to schooling and measurement of the effects of uncertainty on college choice,"
Working Paper Series
2003:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten T. & Heckman, James J., 2003. "Estimating Distributions of Treatment Effects with an Application to the Returns to Schooling and Measurement of the Effects of Uncertainty on College Choice," IZA Discussion Papers 767, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jeong, Hyeok & Townsend, Robert M., 2008.
"Growth And Inequality: Model Evaluation Based On An Estimation-Calibration Strategy,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(S2), pages 231-284, September.
- Hyeok Jeong & Robert M. Townsend, 2003. "Growth and Inequality: Model Evaluation Based on an Estimation-Calibration Strategy," IEPR Working Papers 05.10, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Maital, Shlomo, 1973. "Public Goods and Income Distribution: Some Further Results," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(3), pages 561-68, May.
- Aaron, Henry & McGuire, Martin, 1970. "Public Goods and Income Distribution," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(6), pages 907-20, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:en2005:045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rodrigo Zadra Armond)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.