Environmental Provisions in Trade Agreements
Trade and environmental issues are interrelated, have become part of the negotiating process for free trade agreements, and are included in a substantial number of such agreements since being included in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NATA) and the Marakesh Agreement from Uruguay Round of GATT negotiations. Although the NAFTA agreement contained extensive environmental provisions and institutional mechanisms for their implementation in its environmental side agreement, most of those signed since that time are more modest. Typically they contain provisions for environmental cooperation, pledges to enforce environmental laws and to not to weaken their enforce so as to become environmental havens, and when developing countries are included pledges for technical and/or other assistance. While environmental issues are included in the ongoing Doha Round of the WTO negotiations, most international environmental efforts continue to be handled through a relatively large number of Multilateral Environmental Agreements
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: College of Agriculture, Forestry and Consumer Sciences, PO BOX 6108, Morgantown, WV 26506-6108|
Web page: http://www.caf.wvu.edu/resm/are/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999.
"Developing Country Agriculture and the New Trade Agenda,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Anderson, Kym, 1999. "Developing country agriculture and the new trade agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2125, The World Bank.
- Huff, Karen, 2000. "Developing Country Concerns And Multilateral Trade Negotiations," CATRN Papers 12892, Canadian Agri-Food Trade Research Network.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish, 2000. "On thinking clearly about the linkage between trade and the environment," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 483-529, October.
- Anderson, Kym & Jackson, Lee Ann, 2004.
"Standards, Trade And Protection: The Case Of Gmos,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20282, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kym Anderson & Lee Ann Jacskon, 2004. "Standards, trade and protection: the case of GMOs," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2004-11, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Runge, C. Ford, 1998. "Emerging Issues In Agricultural Trade And The Environment," Working Papers 14383, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Thornsbury, Suzanne & Roberts, Donna & Orden, David, 2004. "Measurement and Political Economy of Disputed Technical Regulations," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(03), pages 559-574, December.
- Peterson, Jeffrey M. & Boisvert, Richard N. & de Gorter, Harry, 1999. "Multifunctionality and Optimal Environmental Policies for Agriculture in an Open Economy," Working Papers 127701, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1994.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
4634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Repetto, Robert, 2000. "Avoiding trade and environment conflicts," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 483-529, October.
- Colyer, Dale, 2003. "Agriculture and Environmental Issues in Free Trade Agreements," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 4(2).
- Carter, Colin A. & Gruere, Guillaume P., 2003. "International Approaches to the Labeling of Genetically Modified Foods," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(2).
- Thornsbury, Suzanne & Roberts, Donna & Orden, David, 2004. "Measurement and Political Economy of Disputed Technical Regulations," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(03), December.
- Demeke, Bayou, 2004. "Is Globalization Bad For The Environment? International Trade And Land Degradation In Developing Countries:The Case Of Small Open Economy," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20376, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wvucps:19103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.