Intra-regional Wealth-Deforestation Relationships in the Brazilian Pantanal: An Examination of the Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis
This paper provides an examination of the EKC Hypothesis applied to deforestation in the Brazilian Pantanal wetland. It is hypothesized that the unsustainable subdivision of many of the larger ranches due to inheritance may result in greater deforestation pressure than a less equal distribution of land and animal resources. The analysis advances understanding in this area on several dimensions: an intra-regional rather than international approach is examined; deforestation is addressed; and land and cattle wealth serve as proxies for income and wealth among agriculturists, where income measures are notoriously poor indicators of welfare.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panayotou, Theodore, 1997. "Demystifying the environmental Kuznets curve: turning a black box into a policy tool," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 465-484, November.
- Seidl, Andrew F. & Silva, Joao dos Santos Vila de & Moraes, Andre Steffens, 2001. "Cattle ranching and deforestation in the Brazilian Pantanal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 413-425, March.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1995.
"Economic Growth and the Environment,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 353-377.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Krueger, Alan B., 1996. "The inverted-U: what does it mean?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 119-122, February.
- de Bruyn, S. M. & van den Bergh, J. C. J. M. & Opschoor, J. B., 1998. "Economic growth and emissions: reconsidering the empirical basis of environmental Kuznets curves," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 161-175, May.
- Beckerman, Wilfred, 1992. "Economic growth and the environment: Whose growth? whose environment?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 481-496, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:waealo:36073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.