Competitive Behavior In The Food Retailing Industry
We develop a flexible model to examine competitive conditions in the food retailing industry based on the Box-Cox transformation of the demand and industry equilibrium conditions. The impact of key technological and market developments on shifts in the competitive index is examined. Adoption of optical scanning technology was positively related to the market power index but the index was stable and consistent with competitive conditions over the 1982-1992 period.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Conner Hall, Athens, GA 30602|
Phone: (706) 542-2481
Fax: (706) 542-0739
Web page: http://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/agecon/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Moshe & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1990. " Debt and Input Misallocation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 795-816, July.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990. "A test of competition in Canadian banking," Working Papers 90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Maloney, Michael T & McCormick, Robert E & Mitchell, Mark L, 1993. "Managerial Decision Making and Capital Structure," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(2), pages 189-217, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)