Market Channel Analysis of Ornamental Plants using Clustering Procedures
Market channel alternatives that include garden centers, landscapers, mass merchandisers and re-wholesalers have contributed to the growth of ornamental crops sales in the United States (U. S.). The homogenous subpopulation of the U.S. nursery producer was clustered using mixture of export method and found that there exist four homogenous group of Nursery Producer. The impact of growers’ business characteristics on shares of sales to these channels by firm size was estimated using multivariate fractional regression and nonparametric model. Important explanatory variables were regions of the U.S., sales of plant groups, kinds of contract sales, and promotional expenses, and their effect varies by cluster. We also found that in some cases nonparametric estimation procedure is better than parametric estimates.
|Date of creation:||19 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krishna Paudel & Mahesh Pandit & Michael Dunn, 2013. "Using spectral analysis and multinomial logit regression to explain households’ choice patterns," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 739-760, April.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2007.
"A consistent model specification test with mixed discrete and continuous data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 802-826, October.
- Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Jeff Racine, 2006. "A Consistent Model Specification Test with Mixed Discrete and Continuous Data," IEPR Working Papers 06.47, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2011.
"Alternative Estimating And Testing Empirical Strategies For Fractional Regression Models,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 19-68, 02.
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2009. "Alternative estimating and testing empirical strategies for fractional regression models," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2009_08, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Pandit, Mahesh & Paudel, Krishna P. & Hinson, Roger A., 2012. "Intensity of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Practices Adoption by U.S. Nursery Crop Producers," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124942, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Hinson, Roger A. & Paudel, Krishna P. & Velastegui, Marco, 2012. "Understanding Ornamental Plant Market Shares to Rewholesaler, Retailer, and Landscaper Channels," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(02), May.
- Papke, Leslie E. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Panel data methods for fractional response variables with an application to test pass rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 121-133, July.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355, April.
- José M.R. Murteira & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho, 2013. "Regression Analysis of Multivariate Fractional Data," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_05, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea13:143067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.