Using Basis and Futures Prices as a Barometer in Deciding Whether to Store Grain or Not
The purpose of this paper is to determine the importance of the strength and weakness of basis and futures prices as barometers for producers to use in deciding whether to store or not. Basis is the single most important market signal for wheat producers to use when deciding whether to store or sell their wheat at harvest. While some models indicated low futures prices were a signal to store, results were fragile and inconsistent.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu/nccc134/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:34:y:2002:i:3:p:459-476 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1982. "The Economic Role of Commodity Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 596-614, September.
- Kastens, Terry L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 1999. "Post-Harvest Grain Storing And Hedging With Efficient Futures," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Kastens, Terry L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1996. "Efficiency Tests Of July Kansas City Wheat Futures," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Dusak, Katherine, 1973. "Futures Trading and Investor Returns: An Investigation of Commodity Market Risk Premiums," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(6), pages 1387-1406, Nov.-Dec..
- Lester G. Telser, 1958. "Futures Trading and the Storage of Cotton and Wheat," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 233.
- Yoon, Byung-Sam & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2002.
"Market Inversion In Commodity Futures Prices,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Yoon, Byung-Sam & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2001. "Market Inversion In Commodity Futures Prices," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18962, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Hazuka, Thomas B, 1984. " Consumption Betas and Backwardation in Commodity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 647-55, July.
- Seamon, V. Frederick & Kahl, Kandice H. & Curtis, Charles E., Jr., 2001. "Regional And Seasonal Differences In The Cotton Basis," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(2).
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1987. "Commodity Futures Prices: Some Evidence on Forecast Power, Premiums,and the Theory of Storage," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(1), pages 55-73, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nccsci:37575. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.