Regulation and Competition: Emerging Issues in an Indian Perspective
This chapter provides a brief guide to the development strategies that have been pursued and to the evolution of regulatory laws and institutions in India. It examines the new legal basis for promoting competition in India, and uses the example of telecommunications to explore some of economic and political issues relating to regulation of competition in this sector. It shows that regulatory issues need to be addressed in the early stages of reform and that the effectiveness of regulation will be enhanced by reducing the political element in regulatory decision-making.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:lan:wpaper:1127 is not listed on IDEAS
- T. G. Arun & F. I. Nixson, 2000. "The Disinvestment of Public Sector Enterprises: The Indian Experience," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1), pages 19-32.
- Bernard Hoekman & Peter Holmes, 1999. "Competition Policy, Developing Countries and the WTO," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(6), pages 875-893, 08.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1192 is not listed on IDEAS
- Keith E. Maskus & Mohamed Lahouel, 2000. "Competition Policy and Intellectual Property Rights in Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(04), pages 595-611, 04.
- P. Cook, 1999. "Privatization and Utility Regulation in Developing Countries: the Lessons So Far," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(4), pages 549-587, December.
- T. G. Arun & F. I. Nixson, 1998. "The transition of a public sector monopoly: India's experience with telecommunications," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 387-395.
- V N Balasubramanyam & C F Elliott, 2002. "Competition policy and the WTO," Working Papers 539974, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:idpmcr:30620. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.