The small-scale manufacturing sector in Ghana: a source of dynamism or of subsistence income?
Survey data from small-scale manufacturing enterprises in Central Region, Ghana permit analysis of factors affecting performance, and of economic dynamism. The majority of the firms were sole proprietorships, with most of the hired labour being apprentices. A high proportion of rural-based proprietors and many urban-based proprietors had secondary occupations. All but two of the industry groups were unprofitable when the legal minimum wage was used as a proxy for the value of proprietors' time. The implication of this is that the small-scale industries are principally a source of modest income and may not be financially and economically dynamic. However, the small enterprises surveyed do seem to represent part of a 'sustainable livelihoods' strategy of lowering economic risk by diversifying income sources. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 19 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Biggs, T. & Shah, M. & Srivastava, P., 1995. "Technological Capabilities and Learning in African Enterprises," Papers 288, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Mead, Donald C. & Liedholm, Carl, 1998. "The dynamics of micro and small enterprises in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 61-74, January.
- Berger, Marguerite, 1989. "Giving women credit: The strengths and limitations of credit as a tool for alleviating poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 1017-1032, July.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966, April.
- Steel, William F & Webster, Leila M, 1992. "How Small Enterprises in Ghana Have Responded to Adjustment," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 423-438, September.
- Steel, W.F. & Webster, L.M., 1991. "Small enterprises under adjustment in Ghana," Papers 138, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Liedholm, Carl & Parker, Joan Chamberlin, 1989. "Small Scale Manufacturing Growth in Africa: Initial Evidence," Food Security International Development Working Papers 54738, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:19:y:2007:i:2:p:253-273. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.