Sustainability of rapeseed biodiesel using LCA method
The Kyoto protocol and the EU Directive 2009/28/EC focus their attention on the reduction of greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions. The use of biofuels in the transport sector is one of the main measures proposed. This paper evaluates the environmental impact, in terms of GHG emissions, of the production and use of rapeseed biodiesel, comparing the results with conventional diesel. The methodology used is the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). The results of the analysis show that the production of rapeseed biodiesel entails a substantial reduction of the GHG emissions compared to the diesel production system. Furthermore, the agricultural phase is identified as the process which causes the largest amount of GHG emissions in biodiesel life cycle. Therefore it could be possible to improve further the environmental performance of biodiesel intervening properly at that stage.
|Date of creation:||28 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scarlat, Nicolae & Dallemand, Jean-François, 2011. "Recent developments of biofuels/bioenergy sustainability certification: A global overview," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1630-1646, March.
- Rajagopal, Deepak & Zilberman, David, 2007. "Review of environmental, economic and policy aspects of biofuels," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4341, The World Bank.
- Perimenis, Anastasios & Walimwipi, Hartley & Zinoviev, Sergey & Müller-Langer, Franziska & Miertus, Stanislav, 2011. "Development of a decision support tool for the assessment of biofuels," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1782-1793, March.
- Rocio A., Diaz-Chavez, 2011. "Assessing biofuels: Aiming for sustainable development or complying with the market?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 5763-5769, October.
- Lankoski, Jussi & Ollikainen, Markku, 2011. "Biofuel policies and the environment: Do climate benefits warrant increased production from biofuel feedstocks?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 676-687, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.