The Impact of Labeling Practices on Perceived Quality of GM Food Products: A Revealed Preferences Approach
This article contributes to the ongoing discussion about the impact of different labeling practices on the quality of genetically modified (GM) food products as perceived by the consumer. Thus far, many studies have adopted a stated preferences approach, finding that consumers have different willingness to pay for GM and non-GM products. This article offers an empirically tractable theoretical model that can be used easily to investigate the impact of GM labeling practices on the perceived quality of GM food products, making use of market data.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tabuchi, Takatoshi, 1994. "Two-stage two-dimensional spatial competition between two firms," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 207-227, April.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Product Selection, Fixed Costs, and Monopolistic Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 217-35, June.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-378702 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1989. "Quality variations and maximal variety differentiation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 21-29, February.
- Lutz, Stefan & Lyon, Thomas P & Maxwell, John W, 1998. "Strategic Quality Choice with Minimum Quality Standards," CEPR Discussion Papers 1793, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caplin, A. & Nalebuff, B., 1989.
"Aggregation And Imperfect Competition: On The Existence Of Equilibrium,"
1989_30, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Caplin, Andrew & Nalebuff, Barry, 1991. "Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 25-59, January.
- Andrew Caplin & Barry Nalebuff, 1990. "Aggregation and Imperfect Competition: On the Existence of Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 937, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Noussair, C. & Robin, S. & Ruffieux, B., 2001.
"Do Consumers Not Care about Biotech Foods or Do They Just Not Read the Labels?,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1142, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Noussair, Charles & Robin, Stephane & Ruffieux, Bernard, 2002. "Do consumers not care about biotech foods or do they just not read the labels?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 47-53, March.
- Neven, D. & Thisse, J-F., 1989. "On Quality And Variety Competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1989020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Degryse, H.A., 1996. "On the interaction between vertical and horizontal product differentiation : An application to banking," Other publications TiSEM 384e9355-ea79-4b3e-90cb-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Degryse, Hans, 1996. "On the Interaction between Vertical and Horizontal Product Differentiation: An Application to Banking," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 169-86, June.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Crespi & Marette, 2003. "Does contain vs. "Does not contain" : does it matter which GMO label is used ?," Working Papers 155594, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Richard Carson & Nicholas Flores & Norman Meade, 2001.
"Contingent Valuation: Controversies and Evidence,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(2), pages 173-210, June.
- Carson, Richard T & Flores, Nicholas A, 2000. "Contingent Valuation: Controversies and Evidence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt75k752s7, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae05:24599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.